Author Topic: Neighbour dilemma  (Read 11759 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Neighbour dilemma
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 14:09:44 »
Oh, I don't know Ann - wotta BUGGA. >:(

Going the 'legal' route, don't forget to point out to her that your ground clearance and siting of the 'house in its position pre-dated her tree planting - even at twiglet size and that you had to fell one of your own trees to accommodate it, will you?  Perhaps, between now and her coming back you could put some thought to what else she could put there which wouldn't have such a disastrous impact on your 'house....low-growing specimen shrub with pretty foliage?....trellis? pergola? dunno...she obviously wants something there to take away the bareness of that spot, so if perhaps you could come up with some positive suggestions for her it might help things along? Anything there trigger any ideas?

Lishka

:(

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 14:28:35 »
I cant believe the lengths people here are prepared to go to including criminal damage to a neighbours property, how selfish is that? Why is *her gardening* less important than *your gardening*? Perhaps she likes the tree and it fits her planting scheme, perhaps she planted it as a memorial to somebody, perhaps she planted it to screen the ugly back side of your greenhouse from her view. It doesnt matter, *her agenda* is none of your business.The law allows you to cut back to the boundary and give her back the cuttings. If thats not good enough for you explain your issue to her. If she will cut back further, fine. If she wont, live with it or move the greenhouse.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 14:49:59 »
weequinnie, the suggestions for killing the tree didn't originate with OB :(

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 14:59:55 »
weequinnie, the suggestions for killing the tree didn't originate with OB :(

Praps not originator but not averse to either...........

I had been thinking along the lines of the tree unfortunately giving up the ghost - only problem is she has left her husband home alone!  Could be embarrasing if caught!!!  Ollie I would bung a nail in - again only problem is the flipping greenhouse is in the way of nail and hammer!!

Unfortunately I have got slabs in the greenhouse so can't get at the roots!

I think you are all right - including kill the tree - I generally do not show animosity to trees etc.  but this particular tree is NASTY!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 17:51:20 »
Weegie, OB has amply demonstrated that she wants to talk with her neighbour to reach a resolution and this is what she states she's going to do.  I'm not about to cut'n'paste to 'verify' this opinion of mine..perhaps, in the interest of fairness & if you have the time, you can do so? ::) There are many....

Dreadfully off-topic, how words can come back to haunt you? You prolly don't know, but I'm a 'jobbing gardener' for the more-elderly-than-me round here, and oh! so many times in the past, putting my trowel into someone's flower border I've dug up a pile of cat mess...resulting always in the cry from me of "I HATE BL**DIN CATS!" And one of these old laydees took me seriously, just at the time when I was struggling to come to terms with a much-loved cat's horrible death, with her suggestions that we (I for her?) put down poisoned meat to keep her bloody bizzie lizzies in pristine condition. >:(

She, like you, it seems, is of a literal disposition ;)

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 19:33:27 »
Cynthia you can bluster and fluster and patronise all  night long, it wont change whats right.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 19:44:57 »
Cynthia you can bluster and fluster and patronise all  night long, it wont change whats right.

??? :-X  ::) ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 21:06:34 »
thought you'd changed your name there, Lish  ;D ;D ;D

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:59:49 »
Looks like we both have the same problem,mine has been ongoing for several years now,we have checked with the council,the internet and it seems there is nothing that can be done,the tree is a sycamore and is just getting bigger every year.
  My son who is a gardener calls them the biggest weeds you can get.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 14:37:46 »
Just got into work and saw the excitement that weequinie has worked himself/herself up to.

Chill - really don't get so upset about something that I am not as upset about as you!!!

Dread to think if you every had a problem how you would sort it - or not as the case may be!

I DO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR!! which appears to be lacking in your case!  As I say Chill - it is not as big deal as you are making out and I was asking for helpful suggestions not a verbal attack on us "criminal damage" folk!

Of course I do understand that they have a choice and I am friendly with my neighbours so for goodness sake don't be so confrontational with me or the other peeps who have given useful suggestions.  Chill - chill - chill!

O B

::)

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 15:10:39 »
must admit trees are a pain when planted with no consideration for any one else.
My problem was all the roots they even lifted the pavement, next they went through the pond liner  My neighbour said if you want it down you can cut it down . So next day i went in with the chain saw, He hasn't spoken since that was two years ago.

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 15:22:20 »
Old bird Im not upset, its not my property people are suggesting damaging. But the casual offhand way you and others are talking about trashing the tree is quite shocking. And of course youre not upset., why would you be, you dont have someone contemplating damaging your property. I wonder how your neighbor would feel reading this. Not as relaxed or chilled as you I bet. Making personal comments is a sure sign that you [and hyercinth] dont have anything valid left to say on the subject so Ill leave you to it now, got letters to post  :-X

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 16:18:25 »
Weequeenie!

I am sure that you will feel better in the fresh air posting your letters.  I am not damaging anyone's property I asked for "helpful" suggestions as to how to tackle this problem - to be quite honest I had agreed that I would speak to my neighbour to see if we could reach a compromise. 

Hyacinth (note the spelling!) has offered helpful suggestions and no we don't have anything "valid left to say on the subject" so thank you for your boring intervention in what was a lighhearted request for assistance - Your opinion in the future if I ever ask for helpful hints - will not be required. Thanks!

Old Bird

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 17:35:43 »
Well said, Old Bird! :)

This forum used to be full of helpful folks - all with a sense of humour and who could spot a tongue in a cheek from a mile away! Whatever is the matter with some people?  :o

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 17:49:04 »
No sense of humour  :o :o :o :o :o
The Tuscan Beaneater

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 19:13:35 »
Sounds like a trol to me .   :-\      ???      :-X     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 19:36:09 »
Sounds like a trol to me .   :-\      ???      :-X     ;D ;D ;D

and nearly spelt like a troll, as well!  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 20:16:42 »
Certainly a US troll from the spelling of "Neighbor".  :D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 13:02:26 »
Quick update!

I cleared round the greenhouse fairly drasticly - and burned the lot up and still I got no light from 11 to 4 ish.  The husband pottered out and started chatting right by the greenhouse so I plucked up courage and said that I had been clearing round the greenhouse to increase light levels and that the tree was still shading the greenhouse - so much so - that it was too cold for me to sow seeds in there!

He said that they would have to trim it - and I ventured the suggestion that if wifey wanted I would buy something as a replacement!!!

So the basis is there now - just have to wait until she comes home

O B

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 13:13:00 »
fingers crossed for you hope it gets sorted.

lucy x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal