Author Topic: Neighbour dilemma  (Read 11757 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: Neighbour dilemma
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 13:44:30 »
Good Luck  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 14:39:10 »
Well done - often that heardest thing to do is to start something - i.e. the conversation / topic. Hope things get sorted on both sides of the fence!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 14:43:13 »
Good luck, it sounds as though you were very diplomatic.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 01:34:09 »
Just re checked this.. good news OB that might work.

See another bit of nonsense has started, bit late to comment but trolls do rather take themselves a bit too seriously..shame I used to collect them years ago.. now I wouldn't give one house room. ::)

Hugs Lish!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:07 »
Hugs back atcha kiddo! (cue for a song?..."those were the days, my friend...") 8) ;D :-*

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 09:34:23 »
when your next having a little chat about it you might like to suggest that if she ever has need of a small space for plants in your greenhouse you will make some room.
give her the incentive to favour your greenhouse above the tree.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 17:02:21 »
good thinking, that 8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 01:14:07 »
Rock on eh!  

Note I have to add the eh cos I is Canadian again...eh.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 22:05:48 »
what sort of tree was it?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 10:33:37 »
Oh deary me!!

Mentioned the tree in a friendly chat on Saturday.   She had been told by hubby that I was not happy about it - anyway she was in like a lion!  The tree she said was an emotional crutch to her - it was very special - she said that she would not be removing it!!!!  She said that I should cho down more of my trees and move my greenhouse!  (Like you do!)  She also said that said tree had been in the ground before I bought the property 6 years or so ago (it was planted within the last couple of years) and that was that. End of subject.

She was very quick off the mark and said that I could trim all that came over my side - which I have had to do so far but it is quite dangerous for me to do this as I am dangling on a ladder which I push into her tree but I am over the greenhouse so have visions of falling off into greenhouse and getting badly cut! 

The tree is called something like Tasmanian and it is similar to a mimosa with little yellow flowers and small little maroon coloured leaves.  I looked at the trunk yesterday and it is a good 15inches thick already!

I was going to write a letter to say how upset I was with this tree etc but my sister and one of the guys at work say don't.

Old Bird

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 10:57:18 »
Oh deary me!!

Mentioned the tree in a friendly chat on Saturday.   She had been told by hubby that I was not happy about it - anyway she was in like a lion!  The tree she said was an emotional crutch to her - it was very special - she said that she would not be removing it!!!!  She said that I should cho down more of my trees and move my greenhouse!  (Like you do!)  She also said that said tree had been in the ground before I bought the property 6 years or so ago (it was planted within the last couple of years) and that was that. End of subject.

She was very quick off the mark and said that I could trim all that came over my side - which I have had to do so far but it is quite dangerous for me to do this as I am dangling on a ladder which I push into her tree but I am over the greenhouse so have visions of falling off into greenhouse and getting badly cut!  

The tree is called something like Tasmanian and it is similar to a mimosa with little yellow flowers and small little maroon coloured leaves.  I looked at the trunk yesterday and it is a good 15inches thick already!

I was going to write a letter to say how upset I was with this tree etc but my sister and one of the guys at work say don't.

Old Bird

Is this tree resticting your light? you could ask your council about your 'right to light'??
You couldn't make it up!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 11:04:36 »
How annoying! Now you'll be the first suspect if it dies.

On a different subject, does anyone know where you stand if you spray your own hedge with roundup & some drifts onto a neighbours tree?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 13:09:26 »
Hiya
When you put in your greenhouse, did you take photos before and after? What I'm driving at is do you have photographic proof of whether the tree was there when you put the GH up and how much it has grown. That gives you the welly to contradict her.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 15:57:32 »
Not sure how contradicting her with photographic proof might help your cause, by the sound of it she'll be calling dial-a-leylandii double quick.

For my money I would now leave it, you have made it clear that you are unhappy and after her initial 'petulance' subsides she may start to feel uncomfortable with the situation and decide, of her own accord, to prune back the tree.  Failing that, in the same vein as Ollie you could ask some local transient tree surgeons to prune some hedges in your garden, just make sure that they are well aware of the ones you mean......
Best laid plans and all that

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 17:09:00 »
Oh dear indeed! You'll be needing a plan b or c. I think your son and colleague are right writing to her sounds like it won't help.

On a different subject, does anyone know where you stand if you spray your own hedge with roundup & some drifts onto a neighbours tree?

Not quite sure what you are actually saying here Ollie, but the reverse has happened to me and I am far from happy about it - all I could do was moan about it and ask them not to be so slap dash about it it the furture.......  :'( (BTW it was a 10year old Passion Flower that I "lost")

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 00:41:59 »
I would prune it diligently, every single branch.twig leaf or whatever that came over, in fact I would do it weekly like folks do with their privet hedges, and make sure somehow that not a single piece is over the fence..eventually the tree is going to look very lopsided and frankly silly, she may then try to chop a bit off at her side to balance it off which might in the long run entice her to trim it to a less overpowering height.. might work if you persist and she can see that you do so be   careful you don't fall though.

I think folks who chop branches off trees usually seal the cut with whatever to prevent diseases getting in... if you lop off a branch and don't seal it,something might get in the cut and  the tree might die... for the record I am not suggesting you  do anything wrong here, the tree folks among us would know better what I am trying to say.

Legally in that case I wonder who would be responsible for the demise of the tree?

XX Jeannine

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 09:37:20 »
Thanks all for the replies!

I am now leaving well alone - I had offered some raspberry plants a while ago and after much door slamming and the like - decided that - I had to carry on - we will still live next door to one another and there is nothing like a neighbour war - so I took the raspberry plants round last night - so leaving the ball back in her court.  I think she is embarrased about the situation and hope that she may also think that I am a good enough neighbour not to cause too much upset.  She has trimmed the wretched tree - she took about 3ft off the height late last year - but we are now in the spring and the wretched tree is just getting going! 

I will leave it a while - as my friend pointed out - I still have my large polytunnel up the lottie - so all is not lost!

Thanks for your kind thoughts though
Old Bird
 ???

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:35 »
Having moved home last year due to living below a family from hell I can only advise trying to achieve a balance.  It all depends on how far you want to go, how much nose you want to cut off and how much misery you want to bring upon yourselves. 

We had the temerity to complain about the volumne of their stereo which was so loud we couldn't hear the tv. 2 years on we sold at the bottom of the market (and bought at same so there is a silver lining!) but the stress levels were extraordinary.  If you like where you live and want to remain on some kind of cordial relation with this neighbour  you may have to consider planning Option B: moving the greenhouse to the other side of the garden.  It may prove worthwhile having a conversation with the other neighbour about your plans.  If you have a polytunnel at the plot already there is an opporunity to budget the costs of moving the greenhouse across the year by doing the prep work in stages.

I know it's not an easy solution - and I also know that I'm coming out of the blue here as I haven't been a regular poster here for some time - though it may be the only practical solution to getting light, maintaining neighbourly relations and not having to move.

And, when you wonder what to do on the old greenhouse site, Virginia Creeper is a beautiful climbing plant...just musing out loud here...

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 19:33:35 »
Thanks Bennetsleg

I am leaving situation well alone now!  My point is made.  Their point is made.  Best left for a while!

I will probably live her until I pop my clogs so best not to leave with a party held by my neighbours!!   No seriously they are older than me!!  It is not as bad as some disputes and I don't think it advisable to risk a dispute and all that entails!!

Thanks for the advice tho! 

Old Bird

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal