Author Topic: Getting back into it after having baby  (Read 1157 times)

samsmam

Getting back into it after having baby
« on: January 16, 2010, 19:56:00 »
Hiya i hardly went to my allotment last year as i had an emergency c section in March and with having a new baby wasnt upto it again until it was too late to start anything, but i am determined to get back into it this year.

We managed to get some bits covered last year so i am going to plant those patches first then try and tackle the rest of it which was like a jungle last year though its under a foot of snow at the moment so im hoping that will have killed some of the weeds off.

My question is what to plant first what can i get on with planting indoors or in my unheated greenhouse, i did learn that everything i grow has to be started in trays etc first any direct sowing never works on my allotment,  im going to buy some onion sets and seed potatoes i know its a while yet for those i am hoping to put them in the overgrown bit when its cleared.

Any advice would be welcome i'm out of practice with my planting etc

Ta

Clairee

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Getting back into it after having baby
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 20:27:42 »
hi and congrats on your baby!
i wouldnt worry too much,youll soon get back into it,esp once you see what your neighbours are doing,and what we all here are up to!  someone else will give you more technically correct advice im sure.
i did sow direct with a lot of stuff,pak choi,carrots,parsnips,lettuce,spring onions all spring to mind.but i know i could have done the same with brassicas etc,my dad always says i fuss too much and should sow everything direct,but the truth is i love pottering about in the greenhouse!
good luck and im sure baby will soon be eating all your lovely produce! what did you have by the way?
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

samsmam

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 20:33:16 »
A little boy Sam he loves his veg so cant wait to get my own stuff grown he is 10 months now, im going to set aside a little patch for him to have when he is a bit older i am lucky enough to work from home so will be able to take him along.

I wish i could direct sow but nothing comes up when i try and direct sow im not sure if they get eaten or what but in 3 years nothing ever came up then i would have to panic and plant in the green house instead.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 20:46:27 »
Hiya, samsmam, welcome to a4a and congrats on the little boy  ;D
I'll be starting a few tomatoes and chillies in the next few weeks, plus some salady type stuff, we don't direct sow, it's difficult to kneel down and separate the seedlings, I sow in modules etc and plant out when the weather is better, leeks will be going in in feb, too, for our competition

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 21:11:21 »
Congratulations on your little helper.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 21:29:15 »
Congrats on your little helper, we have twin helpers on our lottie.

I have to say last year they were more hindrance than help. hopefully this year they may be mroe help. although I fear that any carrots may not make it out of the site before being scoffed.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 14:38:04 »
Congratulations - on getting back to the plot!! You're going to have a great year - able to bend and lift, sleeping (at least some of the time) and an allotment to escape to. What more could a woman ask for?  ;)

How about chitting potatoes? If you do it soonish, should be good for planting when frost ends? They say 6 weeks-ish for chitting. Though I suppose less than that can't hurt.

I have the same thing with things sown in situ - I think the snails and slugs probably get them.

Hope you have a great season!

Mme Muck

• Not So New ...
  • il faut cultiver notre jardin
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 22:08:08 »
Hi Samsmam.  I was in the same situation a couple of years ago.  No. 2 was born in July so I more or less missed that whole season bar some potatoes I'd managed to get in.  I then got a dreaded 'letter' advising me to sort the plot out  :( .  I did get stuck in again and I'm really pleased with what I've managed to get done in the time I've got (or not!). 

Potatoes fill up lots of space and are easy and courgettes.  I'm so glad I covered about half and concentrated on the other half.   Now my two are nearly 4 and 2.5 and they enjoy getting on with playing with their trucks or digging holes (rather than toddling off to pull up neighbours' plant labels!). 

How about buying plants of some things rather than growing from seed too - more of an expense but better success in the long run.

I found Lia Leendertz's book 'the Half Hour Allotment' really useful.

Speedy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 14:35:30 »
Hi Samsmam.  Congratulations!  This is my first year back after having a baby and I've got my work cut out too!

This is what I've been doing:

Covering everything that is threatening to invite weeds.  I'm doing this now while the ground is fairly bare so that it doesn't get head high in nettles and grass by April.  If I get a chance to cultivate it this year it will mean a lot less digging needed later on.

Thinking about planting easy things that grow big, such as pumpkins, squash and courgettes.  They will give me a good crop and spread around the areas I don't get round to planting.  I also think easy things like runner beans, spuds etc will give you maximum return for min effort so good for morale!

Nasturshums (sp?) - saw some on someone else's muck heap last year and they looked great!  Also good at covering suspect areas of uncultivated allotment.

I've also found that although I have less time, I am more productive now.  Instead of spending a couple of hours just pottering about I spend one hour of focused work and get loads done.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal