Author Topic: When will hens start laying?  (Read 4281 times)

twave

• Not So New ...
When will hens start laying?
« on: December 17, 2009, 13:01:05 »
I'm a bit confused! We got 4 hens a couple of months ago and I think they are about 17 or 18 weeks old now. I have been told different things by different people that keep hens. One says they won't start laying until the spring due to the dark nights and annual moult, the other is saying they should lay throughout the winter. Can anyone tell me who is right?

Yorkshire Sam

• Not So New ...
Re: When will hens start laying?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 16:43:42 »
daft as it seems both pieces of advice are right (sort of). Chickens will come into lay around the 22 week mark some earlier some later. At this time of year a lot of birds are in moult. some have a really heavy moult and take thier own sweet time other just sail through it. but while they are moulting and producing new feathers thier egg laying takes a back seat. Our chickens ( mostly white stars) give us on average an egg a day. But in winter even without the moult this drops quite a lot. Chickens need  12 - 14 hours of daylight to produce an egg. In the summer - no problem but short nights in winter....   Also a lot of thier energy is going into keeping warm. Dont worry just keep feeding them and giving them fresh water every day with a little green stuff as treets and you will soon be having fresh eggs for breakfast every day.  Worth all the hassel trust me.   :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 17:47:17 »
I got mine at POL a year and a coupla months ago. They started in Jan or Feb this year and haven't moulted or stopped laying yet (apart from one when she was broody)! Yours will start when they're good & ready!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 22:39:21 »
Also,  depending on their breed, hens will start laying anywhere from 18 to 28 weeks.  Cold wet crappy weather will also slow down the initial start of egg laying by up to another 4 weeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:18:24 »
Thanks for all your replies.We're in Scotland and the days are fairly short at the moment so I guess we'll be waiting until spring, but it's worth having them just for the entertainment!

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 14:44:37 »
My guess would be middle of February.

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:57:17 »
Thought I'd provide an update. We got our first eggs last weekend! ;D We got two a day for a couple of days and then it dropped to one. We have four different breeds so guessing the others may start a bit later.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 17:34:49 »
A good indicator of when they'll start to lay is when they squat.

Sounds odd i know,but its instinct for a hen to get itself into the mating postion when they're mature enough to start laying and they will squat down when you approach them (because they see you as their c o c k bird).Normally its around 7-10 after they first squat that you'll get your first egg.

*I've had to spell it like that because of the net nanny.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:49 »
Thanks Steven. I wondered why they were doing that!  ::) 3 laying now although one is laying soft shells. I think that should sort itself out though as they have plenty of oyster shell. Just one more to go!

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 20:54:43 »
Do be careful with hens that are laying softies.The worst case scenario-it can cause a prolapse (where the hens innards come out) and can be fatal.I too always have a bowl full of mixed grit with added crushed oyster shells and the they lay eggs have really tough shells so shows they're getting plenty of calcium.

Some people give their hens crushed egg shells which are a good source of calcium,but i wont incase it encourages them to start eating their own eggs.

If any of your hens ever do have a prolapse,the best way is to hold its vent over steam (not too close so it scolds) and gently push it back inside.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 13:06:20 »
Steven, I hope it doesn't come to that. I don't fancy steaming chicken unless it's with a bit of lemon grass  ;D

The good news is all 4 girls layed for the first time yesterday with solid shells so I'm hoping the problem has passed.

Thanks for your advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal