Author Topic: Galvinised Wire  (Read 2743 times)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
Galvinised Wire
« on: January 31, 2010, 15:27:30 »
I am looking for galvinised wire for both inner chicken run and an outer run.

Inner run  need 13mm (1/2") .900mm (3ft) by 10m
                           13mm (1/2") 1.2m (4ft)    by 10m

Outer run  need 50mm (2") .900mm (3ft) by 10m
                          50mm (2") 1.2m (4ft)      by 10m

I have looked on line but struggling to find the sizes we want in 10m alot are 50m, also tried search button on here, but either get no results or 13 pages depending on whether I put in galvinised or chicken wire.

Anyone got any recommendations for supplier. I am in Chelmsford, Essex, would consider having it delivered but depends on cost.

Thank you

Peasticks

• Half Acre
Re: Galvinised Wire
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 20:58:35 »
Hills of Devon are good and do free P&P normally next day delivery

Their weldmesh is 30m rolls and the coated netting is 25m

Have you considered making it all out of the smaller hole size? that way you can get away with one 25m roll

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 18:17:45 »
Do you mean weldmesh as in rectangular or square holes. or hexagonal mesh which is more usual? Both are galvanised and the latter is cheaper.

Another option for the larger size is pheasant netting, which is I think 2" square plastic mesh, very tough and also used as deer fencing..........Oh perhaps not this I think is at least 6' tall.

I will have a think about suppliers but we at work usually buy 50m rolls because it works out so much cheaper per metre.

Is the 1/2" for chicks? If not we usually use rabbit netting which is 1 1/4" hexagonal galvanised mesh.

Our local supplier is AVS fencing. I used to buy from Muncaster products if you can find them. They deliver at a price.

You need an agricultural supplier really, or sometimes animal feedstuff manufacturers may have what you want.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 22:20:26 »
Hexagonal would be fine, the reason for small holes is to deter rats, they of course can chew through most things but it would take time and would hopefully be noticable. With larger holes they can get through easiy. The mesh with larger wholes is for outer run which chickens are only in when someone is down at the allotment keeping an eye on them and food is not in this area.

Thanks for replys so far-  any other ideas !

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 21:39:25 »
i THINK YOU WILL FIND RATS WILL FIND OTHER WAYS IN DOUND THE HEN HOUSE OR UNDER THE FLOOR. wE DONT USE SUCH SMALL MESH OURSELVES.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 23:18:17 »
Oh I am glad I found this post - hope you do not mindwe hijacking your thread.

We had our chickens in a run last year and moved them to the green house with their ark attached for the winter.  But in Spring we are going to be needing mesh wire for our new chicken coop this year.  We are thinking about approx 10 metres square.  Does anyone have any ideas / tips for us.  Some pictures etc would also be very helpful.  We currently have 4 chickens but we would like to get a few more.  We were thinking of burying the mesh about 30 cms - or is theresomething else we can use.

Also where could I get mesh wire from in our neck of the woods - I am in Christchurch, Dorset?

Kind regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 21:03:25 »
i purchased my netting from hills of devon

http://hillsofdevon.co.uk/netting.html

and I believe it is free P&P too
Rog n Pete

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 00:36:50 »
Thanks for the info. 

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 13:15:18 »
Have you tried screwfix.com ?  I seem to remember seeing wire mesh on their website.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 23:26:43 »
We have looked at screw fix - it was either prices or them not having the size/suitable lengths.

At present Wrights ( horticutural supplies)look reasonably priced and we are looking at buying a larger length but only one size as this works out cheaper. The only problem is there is a minimal order for free delivery. We use them for our allotment shop supplies.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 23:47:33 »
We got hold of some security fence panels off a building site that they were dumping. We put these up then put netting around the outside. This also doubled up then as a fruit cage. I hope you are getting some rescued hens. We got some from a link on here last year and are laying nearly every day! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal