Author Topic: Clarification of forum rules  (Read 6197 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Clarification of forum rules
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:08 »
Could someone please clear this up for me... Have the rules regarding racially offensive jokes been changed and if not, are we all allowed to break the forum rules now, or is it just the mods?

This is not a wind-up; something was posted in clear contravention of the rules (and causing upset to a number of members) and since it is impossible to have more than 1 set of standards I think we would all benefit from clarification.

My question has nothing to do with whether or not the joke was funny or in bad taste, or even who posted it, I would just like to be told what is and isn't acceptable.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Clarification of forum rules
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 16:52:18 »
good point well put ollie,from where i stand,as long as you are a mod you can post what you like without apology,correct me if im wrong someone,but then,this thread could just be locked couldnt it,hence avoiding an apology
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 17:05:28 »
I cannot find any of the rules. Where are they? Are they the rules that a few PC bullies think we should abide by?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 17:11:32 »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 17:12:19 »
The watershed rules are here:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,1598.0.html

You may find it difficult to find anything in the watershed that sticks to them.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 17:12:48 »
 ??? Apology..... for what exactly ?.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 17:17:29 »
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 17:31:49 »
Ah, right, no jokes then, Although I do like the  DO NOT READ THEM IF YOU ARE OFFENDED. Also it down to the moderator what gets through.  Not the PC police!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 17:35:27 »
This purpose of this board is as the name suggests.

If you are offended by anything in the board then please do not read it.

Not rocket science is it.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 17:49:26 »
The link regarding trolls doesn't work - the site it links to has been discontinued. Perhaps there should be a link to the wikipedia definition.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 17:53:51 »
Timothy Campbell's article about internet trolls which the link originally pointed at is now located here:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/trolls.htm

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 18:38:42 »
Cheers for that Baccyman, that's completely different from what I 'conjured' up after being accused of being a 'troll', seems like some folk 'flip the script'.
Love to read the definition of a 'bully' too.
Get confused on here sometimes.     
One Love

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 19:00:10 »
Too many pc bullies on here now, if some of you have so much time on your hands trawl back in Watershed and see how many racist jokes there are and see how many comments you pcers have made not many I reckon. Some of you need to get your head out of your arses and get a life its a JOKE you numptys.   :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 19:23:30 »
I don't get the troll stuff - are people saying I'm a troll? Slightly odd if so. I am asking a question about what is and isn't acceptable...

So if you think that moderators should set an example of MODERATion by avoiding upsetting people of a different race, you're a pc bully? If that really is the case then this is the wrong place for me.

The joke didn't offend me in the slightest, although it was rubbish. Double standards do bother me though, and I don't see any harm in asking for clarity.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 19:31:27 »
I don't get the troll stuff - are people saying I'm a troll? Slightly odd if so. I am asking a question about what is and isn't acceptable...

So if you think that moderators should set an example of MODERATion by avoiding upsetting people of a different race, you're a pc bully? If that really is the case then this is the wrong place for me.

The joke didn't offend me in the slightest, although it was rubbish. Double standards do bother me though, and I don't see any harm in asking for clarity.
Hence my infrequent visits - Nick Griffin has taken over the asylum.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 19:33:02 »
The troll stuff is about a broken link in the watershed rules not about you.
The only person that can clarify the forum rules is Dan it's his site so he sets the rules. The rules should apply to everyone regardless of their status.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 19:53:06 »

Hey, Ollie I never called you a troll  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I was just pointing out that there was a dead link in the paragraph about trolls in Dan's post about watershed rules. ::)

I read jokes in the watrershed, some I find funny, some offensive.  But they are just that - jokes.  Don't forget there is a warning, don't go there if there is the possibility you might be offended.
The Tuscan Beaneater

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 20:44:28 »
I know this is a bit off thread, but does anyone else read Shazia Mirza's articles in the Guardian magazine? This one from a few weeks back gives a view on offensiveness (or not) of jokes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/07/offensive-shazia-mirza

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 21:03:58 »
When I am made aware of a 'non PC joke' I review it.

While I do not find them in anyway funny (sorry) and some are questionable from a taste perspective I have not found many which are out and out racist.

Continue to report them, I will continue to review them.

The same rules do apply to everyone.

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 21:15:53 »
How was it racist when no race was mentioned in the joke? Nor was any mention made of religion so not offensive in that way. A call centre was mentioned in Pakistan, my white,christian brother in law is a call centre operator in Pakistan.He lives there because he likes it and hates Britain and all of it,s political correctness.He could have been the one leading the cheers!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal