Author Topic: Clarification of forum rules  (Read 6198 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Clarification of forum rules
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 23:37:26 »
The problem is Rosebud that some people are offended and you can not get away from that.

It is not a question of getting a life.

I do not understand how a moderator who ever that may be can post what they know is dodgy stuff can then sit in judgement on other peoples posts.

How can they say a poster has gone against the rules and then in the future accuse others of the same thing ??

I do not think SL has thought this one through properly.

Dan is obviously protecting SL with his comments but they do not make much sense to me.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 23:47:50 »
I accept that some people do become offended by things and I also become offended by things.  I've been offended by things posted on A4A in the past and I'm sure I will again.  I posted a joke which some people found to be in bad taste and other people did not.  When one looks at the rules, it's easy to see that they are broken on a regular basis and yes, I admit, my joke fell into that hole.  Am I going to apologise?  No, I'm not.  Will I do it again?  No, I won't - although these days I'm sure even the stupidiest joke that was once thought funny will now offend someone. If I post a knock knock joke, someone will no doubt stick their oar in and say I'm having a pop at salesmen.

Dan quite clearly stated at the bottom of his post that the same rules apply to everyone, so no, he wasn't protecting me, btw.

I'm all for people speaking their minds but again, I urge that this now gets put to sleep because members are just having a pop at each other which achieves nothing but upset (and then I will lock and move the thread because it's just not worth it)

And btw, if you all really do want to stick rigidly to the rules, that's not a problem with me but it does mean that threads will disappear from the watershed left, right and centre  :P

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 23:51:13 by SamLouise »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 23:50:37 »
 I woulden`t be so angry if people had not made such a fuss , there are worse jokes than that one that have been in the watershed, just go back some.  No offence was intended we are just not the country we used to be now we  must not say BOO!! to anyone who is not English all the aggro is blown up because so many people have to jump on the PC bandwagon.
I wish SL would  give up , but then of course that would be wrong with the happy clappy crowd. They want there pound of flesh.
This site used to be a joy to visit, wish so many of us could say that now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 23:57:43 by rosebud »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 23:54:37 »
"And btw, if you all really do want to stick rigidly to the rules, that's not a problem with me but it does mean that threads will disappear from the watershed left, right and centre"

Zero tolerance on discrimination.  Jokes against people due to their race, religion, sexual orientation or disability will not be tolerated. Any offences will get an otherwise worthwhile post moderated or deleted.

Not much point in saying all this if it is then ignored is there?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 23:59:33 »
so sam,you are threatening to lock a thread,anyone else ever heard of this?? the reason people are upset is because of your original post,surely you must take some responsibility for that?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 00:05:12 »
Grawc, I said that semi tongue-in-cheek - I guess not the time for humour :-[  Even as a semi-mod, I don't think it's my place to continually move threads because up until now Dan has never stepped in and locked/moved anything from the Watershed (well, maybe once or twice) and I don't think he'd be very happy if I became trigger happy with members posts (which I dont want to do anyway)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 00:24:10 »

I do not understand how a moderator who ever that may be can post what they know is dodgy stuff can then sit in judgement on other peoples posts.

betula explain to me why it was "dodgy"?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 00:25:18 »
You know perfectly well what I mean so come off it 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 00:33:24 »
This is silly. Some of us were offended by the joke and said so,for that we seem to have been cast as killjoys. Why aren't we allowed an opinion all of a sudden?
I was upset by the Samaritan link and said so.Why that attracted such comments as were posted I don't know. I have posted dodgy stuff in the past, and have found that a sorry to those who were offended was all it took to restore things to normal. SamLouise you alone are making this worse than it already is by refusing to apologise and threatening to lock the thread once again.
All you had to do was say sorry to those who were offended and this wouldn't have got so bad. You must have known that the joke would get a reaction when you posted it.
Smile, it confuses people.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 00:39:53 »
Yes I agree with that...I have slipped up in the past and in the end have decided to apolagise .

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 07:15:10 »
Back to the original joke - are any of you Pakistani?
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:05 »
Maybe we could just miss out the offending part of a joke?  ;D

'Does my bomb look big in this'?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 08:23:37 »
Back to the original joke - are any of you Pakistani?

I was wonderingthat. although I guess some Pakistani people would be offended and some wouldn't. But also that if a poster was aware that there were people of any particular race on the forum, they would be less likely to post such a joke.

Please can we get someChristmas cheer and close this thread now?  ::)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 10:56:21 »
It's about tolerance - how much should we tolerate people with different views (and senses of humour!) to ourselves, and also those who like to push the boundaries need to be tolerant of those who are different to them.

If someone is offended by something, they should be able to say so without being called a pc bully, or told that they need to remove their head from an orifice. Equally, if someone likes the ruder end of comedy (and I'd include myself in that), they should be able to share that comedy with like-minded individuals...

There are jokes that I would share with my Muslim friends that I would never dream of posting on a public forum, plenty far worse than ends up on here. But it is different when you're face to face with people who know you. People are still beaten up or killed for being different in the UK, and that is why when we post anything which is even vaguely racially insensitive we are adding insult to injury. You don't know who'll read it, and they don't know that it's just harmless fun.

I was brought up to say sorry when I've accidentally upset someone, even if it's by mistake, but I guess again that's different strokes for different folks. I guess people should do whatever they feel is right. I don't think this has really been resolved, but I do think we should be able to talk about things without the mud slinging, and mostly we have in this case.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:59:35 by OllieC »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:21 »
Back to the OP and the question asked: Dan, the Site owner, replied (the bold emphasis is mine):-

When I am made aware of a 'non PC joke' I review it.

While I do not find them in anyway funny (sorry) and some are questionable from a taste perspective I have not found many which are out and out racist.

Continue to report them, I will continue to review them.

The same rules do apply to everyone.

Of all that is offensive here or in the Watershed, I find the remark "Dan is obviously protecting SL with his comments but they do not make much sense to me" caps them all. >:( 

So here I want to thank Dan the Man for starting and maintaining Lotties4all for us all and I'm surely not alone in finding that remark an unfounded slur on him.

To the joke in question, posted in Watershed, clearly headed "A Joke NOT for the easily offended"...well, it clearly offended some who read it and still decided to comment both in the Watershed and then dragged it here to continue. I really do wish that Watershed stuff is kept to The Watershed, including the OP here.

Lishka 

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:14 »
the thread was *dragged * here as you put it,because the mod who posted the so called joke decided to close the original thread rather than let us continue to discuss it,or comment on her last comment,and is now threatening to do the same,free speech?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:27 »
The original thread was locked so it was a bit hard to discuss it there.

It's not been "dragged" here, it is about overall standards & moderation so this is the right place.

It is not a slur to suggest that someone is protecting someone. Everyone should protect people they care about.

Locking this 'cos some people would rather argue than discuss. Shame.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal