Author Topic: Clarification of forum rules  (Read 6199 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Clarification of forum rules
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 21:23:13 »
That makes nice reading Caroline, but that is because most of the readers replys are right up my street. I have lost count the times the jokes been on me. I laugh with them. Unfortunatley some people have suffered from taunting because of colour, size, religion etc so they will not agree with her.  but there was one little voice in there who I will quote,

'I share the view that offence is taken rather than given'

Says it all for me.

Hence my infrequent visits - Nick Griffin has taken over the asylum.

And if that ain't insulting I don't know what is.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 21:30:03 »
I prefer a comedian that's funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 21:34:31 »
Well one thing is for sure....the so called joke that was posted has set a lot of the members at each others throats.

Maybe that is reason enough not to post this stuff ??

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 21:37:12 »
I'll come back on some of the points in here when the footie has finished but in the meantime can someone please explain to me why the 'joke' in question is funny?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 21:39:56 »
Well one thing is for sure....the so called joke that was posted has set a lot of the members at each others throats.

Couldn't agree more. Where's the love gone?  :)

Also @ OllieC-nice clip!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 21:48:08 »
"Being offended is not like having cancer or rabies; people don't die of offence. At most, your feelings will be wounded, you will feel displeased or angered, but have a cream cake and watch some X Factor and it will all be OK."

Brilliant.  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 21:55:00 »

I would stay off of on here friday then. We all have a shout and a snarl at each other on our friday debates. But it has to stop at tea time. so we can get ready to go down the pub. It ain't my round this week, cost me a fortune last time.

snipsnip

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 22:04:05 »
I'm up to pay for a round on Friday all welcome of course.

I've heard I should come along and prove I'm not a 'troll'  ;D

Thank goodness I wont be around for the Friday deabte. :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 22:06:04 »

Also @ OllieC-nice clip!
 hear hear
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 21:32:25 »
Well, I said I'd come back so here goes.

This purpose of this board is as the name suggests.

If you are offended by anything in the board then please do not read it.

Not rocket science is it.

Easier said than done if you chose to read the forum via 'show unread topics' or 'view lastest posts'.  I've now learnt that one can block boards so that seems like a possible solution, if a bit drastic, but it doesn't tackle the issue of posts which break the house rules.

When I am made aware of a 'non PC joke' I review it.

While I do not find them in anyway funny (sorry) and some are questionable from a taste perspective I have not found many which are out and out racist.

Continue to report them, I will continue to review them.

The same rules do apply to everyone.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan.  So 'jokes' need to be blatantly racist etc in order to be removed.  Have I got that right?

It seems to me that it's all down to subjectivity, as are so many things in life of course.  For the record I was not offended by the 'joke', I was appalled and angry at its insensitivity on so many levels and extremely concerned about being associated with a forum where 'jokes' of this nature are considered acceptable. 

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 21:41:15 »
Well said Georgie

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 21:46:37 »
thanks georgie,you so   eloquently put into words what im trying to say (not for the first time)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 22:05:11 »
There is too much PC crap on some threads at the moment.  The jokes are exactly that - jokes.  Not directed as personal vendettas,  some people are so touchy and too PC.  If people are easily offended then they should not read threads that have a clear headline warning.  (Is this where I get kicked off  ::) ::))
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 22:08:41 »
There is too much PC crap on some threads at the moment.  The jokes are exactly that - jokes.  Not directed as personal vendettas,  some people are so touchy and too PC.  If people are easily offended then they should not read threads that have a clear headline warning.  (Is this where I get kicked off  ::) ::))

Spot on, the joke in question wasn't funny but people are way too PC these days.

Three black blokes walk into a bar........

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 22:11:17 »

You are entitled to your opnion.  But given your opinion, I reckon we are going to have to agree to differ.

G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 22:17:04 »

Spot on, the joke in question wasn't funny but people are way too PC these days.

Three black blokes walk into a bar........

I'd be interested to know which members of society you don't think deserve respect, Mick.

G x

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 22:23:33 »
The term "pc" covers an awfully large range of subjects though. If being "politically correct" means objecting to jokes that mock disability or use race as a punchline then I don't really mind being pc. I'm quite proud of it. I love comedy and the way it pushes boundaries but there is something insidious and damaging about these little "I called it a mosque" type jokes. (I know it is meant to be a joke, as georgie said, it's subjective, and I don't want to get all preachy, I've been trying so hard not to post here but I have to!)
The fact is these jokes support the "we'll have sharia law soon, they're taking away christmas, did you know they've banned baa baa black sheep in play schools" way of thinking. None of it is true, it's scaremongering by the media and the BNP and people just get sucked in. Don't go there-it's the dark side.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 22:28:03 »

they're taking away christmas, None of it is true,

Thats all way off topic but, tonight I went to the switching on of our local "seasonal lights". maybe thats another topic.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 22:38:53 »
I don't think it is 'off topic', sorry, maybe I wasn't clear but I was typing then cutting most of it out to not waffle or rant.
I was explaining why I feel these jokes are not really on. I said, to use my quote correctly -
The fact is these jokes support the "we'll have sharia law soon, they're taking away christmas, did you know they've banned baa baa black sheep in play schools" way of thinking

They are borne from prejudice based on things that have been said, usually in the media and it's very sad. On reading my post again I think it's pretty clear what i meant to be honest. I hope you had a nice time at the lights. We had wallace and gromit at ours. How's that for off topic?  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 23:19:31 »
  For Gods, sake give it a rest ,or is that not PC now
 It goes on , & on , & ON , & on. get a life some of you.               

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal