Author Topic: Courgette Cake for Chriscross.  (Read 1382 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Courgette Cake for Chriscross.
« on: November 09, 2009, 15:44:52 »
This is actually a recipe for carrot cake but I had a large round courgette waiting to be used so I substituted it for carrot.
175g soft brown sugar
200ml sunflower oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
225g plain flour
5ml bicarb
5ml cinnamon
2.5 mixed spice
pinch grated nutmeg
175 courgette chopped small
110g sultanas

Place sugar in bowl, add oil and beat together (or whizz in mixer)
add eggs and mix thoroughly(whizz)
Sift the flour and bicarb into the mix and stir
Mix in the spices and courgette (whizz again)
Stir in sultanas
Pour into a 11x7 inch greased tin lined with parchment
Bake 150c oven for 40-50 mins until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

The recipe recommends a butter icing to go on top but that's too sweet for me. I'm sure you could substitute squash or whatever you fancy really, as long as it is moist I suppose. The sultanas were my idea so there again you could add whatever you think would compliment the cake best. The carrot cake recipe used chopped walnuts.
Smile, it confuses people.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
Re: Courgette Cake for Chriscross.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 18:17:04 »
Seeing as 99% of Canadians make Zucchini loaf I wondered if this might take your fancy, I don't make it myself as my friend always passes a couple over to me...
 it freezes well.
 I will have another recipe later today which I will post for you, it will be a tried and tested recipe.. qahtan........

Zucchini is what you call Courgettes

ZUCCHINI BREAD OLE MISS SPECIAL+++

Ingredients
a)
1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated zucchini (*see directions for preparation)
1+1/2 eggs
vanilla extract
b)
1+1/8 - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg (optional)

coarsely chopped walnuts, as much as you please

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 190C (375F). Butter a loaf pan. Sift all the dry ingredients (b).
2. Prepare zucchini. Rub the zucchini with salt; sprinkle salt over the zucchini, and roll it on a cutting board, in a way you do when rolling out a cookie dough with a rolling pin, until the skin of zucchini becomes tender. Rinse well under running water. Grate the zucchini and make one cupful. Drain, and squeeze out excess fluid (but do not squeeze all the way). Set aside.
3. Combine all the wet ingredients (a) in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Fold in the flour mixture, then add the nuts.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for several minutes, then turn the cake out onto the rack and cool completely.

+++

Rubbing the zucchini with salt will help remove excess bitterness of zucchini, making the resulting bread taste milder. A typical recipe for zucchini bread would use more sugar and oil that can mask the bitterness of zucchini, but I like this moderately sweet version.

I tend to make it in a bit bigger batch, adjusting the amount of the ingredients so that I use two eggs (I just can't handle "half the egg" leftover). With that increment, I typically use one large zucchini (you might not use up a whole zucchini, but you can keep the excess in the fridge). When using raw nuts in baking I usually roast them before putting in the batter, and I do the same with this cake. Nutmeg is optional in this recipe, but I do use it because I like it.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Courgette Cake for Chriscross.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 23:06:59 »
That sounds good qahtan, thankyou.  :D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal