Author Topic: Flippin' fireworks!  (Read 5800 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Flippin' fireworks!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 12:56:40 »
Fireworks can be very dangerous and in my opinion should only be used at organized events and then only in the hands of experts.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 14:24:37 »
Personally, and I know this is going to be controversial, I am happy with firework legislation as it is.

Most countries have far more relaxed attitudes towards fireworks, the Italians are crazy with them, Diwali in India is terrifying. It's nice that we still cut loose a little, in a society where everything else is legislated upon so heavily.

I know some pet owners experience difficulties as a result, but I don't think a traditional festival period should be squeezed out because some people experience some seasonal difficulties with something that they chose. To me that seems reactionary, as much so as people demanding dogs be band because some owners can't behave responsibly with them.

I have two dogs.  One of them has a habit of going out into the garden and barking for no apparent reason.  As soon as he does this, I call him inside and he comes.  I would not inflict his barking on my neighbours.

It upsets me to think that some people have so little regard for their neighbours that they think it is alright to let off extremely loud fireworks in residential areas until the early hours of the morning.

There is no season for fireworks here in Birmingham.  They are let off for a variety of reasons, both religious and otherwise throughout the year.

I don't like to see my dog being terrified of the noise, but if it was only a few times a year I suppose I would cope with it.  I don't want to stop people enjoying themselves, but what about the people who have to suffer the noise?  Don't they count?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 14:26:57 »
those who get annoyed at the noise of fireworks, please spare a thought for all of the families in the world whose peace and quiet is shattered regularly by the noise of guns, bombs, missiles, land-mines etc.
at least the bangs round here don't usually mean another few folk dead.
(rant over)

I do feel for all those people you mention but I don't think their situation has anything to do with the misuse of fireworks in England. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 15:47:06 »
I feel this thread has run its course and will be moved to admin. Sorry I thought I was a mod for a minute there, day dreaming again.   :-[    :-X :-X :-X       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 19:09:56 »
In a recession if people have money to burn, good luck, but don't frighten my cats, or I will stick a firework up your behind.  My grandchildren hate fireworks so we have a bonfire party, without fireworks, soup and sausages etc. and stay in the warm and watch them out the window. I also hate Harqulein so must be getting old.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 19:15:38 »
I can't stand the things because of the bangs.  We used to keep goats. The milk yield always dipped around November 5th, - we'd put the lights on in the shed and hang around trying to soothe them, but the poor beasts were terrified all the same. Why can't they make ones that shower those beautiful stars in silence?

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 20:46:07 »
...We had a similar thread this time last year and I got flamed something awful for defending the animals.

The point is to my mind it is cruelty to animals to have these explosives going off for such long periods.It is against the law to cause harm to animals,surely there mental well being is just as important.

I will bow out of this one as I do not want a re run of last year.

The message is still the same.I f you really must have private fire works please keep it short.Even better ,go to an organised event.

Well put Betula, I am on the animals side. Our small 11year old dog is beside himself with fear when the fireworks go off. They just don't understand what is going on and surely we as humans could be more respectful to an animals worries, and confusion!?
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 20:52:56 »
Tonybloke I wholeheartedly agree with you.

However there are some areas which are really dodgy, so we may be talking about completely different scales here! I stayed with a friend in Leeds a few years ago and kids were throwing rockets at passersby in the street and putting fireworks through peoples letterboxes. It was a really nasty atmosphere and cannot be compared to someone's pet losing a few nights sleep.

I think the problem is antisocial behaviour which can occur any time of the year and the police are not doing enough to stop it.

If I had a fearful pet I would try to introduce it to loud/sudden noises gradually to get them used to it. My old cat would sleep through fireworks and not even blink (he must have worked out early on that they werent going to harm him) but would jump to attention if anyone came to the door, before they had even rung the bell!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 21:09:08 »
There are lots of whizz-bangs going on here right now!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 21:18:23 »

If I had a fearful pet I would try to introduce it to loud/sudden noises gradually to get them used to it.

I did this with both my dogs.  Vera couldn't care less and will happily sit outside in the garden in a thunderstorm.  Graham is more nervous and there was nothing I could do to get him used to fireworks or thunder.  The only time he will have any peace will be if he becomes deaf when he is older.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 21:20:22 »
I feel this thread has run its course and will be moved to admin. Sorry I thought I was a mod for a minute there, day dreaming again.   :-[    :-X :-X :-X       ;D ;D ;D

I believed you for a minute then Kev.  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 21:38:18 »
I have to confess, I'm not a firework hater, but I fail to see why 'bangers' exist & why rockets aimed at a domestic market have to be so <insert sweary word> noisy.  ::) Safety issues aside, I don't begrudge anyone the odd sparkler/Catherine wheel/fountain, but domestic rockets? What's the point? You get more bang for your buck at an organised display.

I'm also bemused as to why people set them off during daylight hours,  ::) to me it defeats the purpose. I live 500m from a 'country house'; it takes in US students during the summer and every July 4th, around 18:00 the rockets start... that's approximately 4 hours before sunset. Likewise, at this time of year, many of the local parents will have back garden displays for their 4/5 year olds... before 17:00, in broad daylight.   ???

~~~

Kev!  ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:01 »
I meant to type Halloween not Harqulein, must have had a senior moment or had too much wine.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:38 »
I meant to type Halloween not Harqulein, must have had a senior moment or had too much wine.

LOL, I did wonder what you meant!
I mis-read it anyway, as 'Harlequin'.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:11 »
I absolutley love fireworks but at the right time in the right place. 

I have two dogs too Betty, the little one - teddy bear does random barking in the garden like your Graham.  This will be the first year with two of them on the 5th and i am dreading it, they are bad enough when someone closes a car door!  The firework 'season' is too long, they should just be available for a few days before the 5th.

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 13:29:25 »
There is a large bonfire at the end of my garden and I intend to light it and have fireworks on Nov 7th.

It`s a long way away from any houses,backing onto a field, and I know it`s far away enough not to spook the dogs either side and more importantly my cat.

Jenny will have had another dose of chemo the day before and I am going to make her smile.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 14:12:31 »

Do we still have Harqulein/Halloween. I thought it was Trick Or Treat night these days !
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 14:25:26 »
There is a large bonfire at the end of my garden and I intend to light it and have fireworks on Nov 7th.

It`s a long way away from any houses,backing onto a field, and I know it`s far away enough not to spook the dogs either side and more importantly my cat.

Jenny will have had another dose of chemo the day before and I am going to make her smile.

My best wishes to Jenny - nobody would want to stop something like you are planning to do to cheer her up.  I hope all goes well with her treatment and that she enjoys the bonfire and fireworks. :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 16:28:10 »
I like fireworks but don't see why they have to bang so loud. I like the pretty ones but even they have to bang as well.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 17:06:10 »
Borlotti, I thought what is she going on about, daft as a brush.  :P       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal