Author Topic: Flippin' fireworks!  (Read 5795 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Flippin' fireworks!
« on: October 17, 2009, 22:41:32 »
I wish there was a cut-off time for fireworks, something like 10:00pm maybe. 

It is Diwali today and fireworks have been going off in gardens all around me.  I'm not bothered, and if I went to bed I might be able to sleep through the noise but I pity people with babies and young children.  Also, my dog Graham is really frightened of the noise and is trying to dig his way under the settee.

I've got two tvs on and also a radio to try to cover up the noise.  It will probably go on until at least midnight and I'm fed up.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
Re: Flippin' fireworks!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 22:44:46 »
I feel for you and this is something I feel very strongly about.

Dread this time of year  :(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 22:48:01 »
I know just how you feel Squash64. My King Charles is terrified and although she was prescribed calming tablets would climb on the back of the sofa and try and claw through the wall. I always put her in kennels on 5th November, the kennels are down a country lane and a long way from other properties. Only trouble is they seem to go on for a couple of weeks although not so severe. Last year she seemed a little better but I think that maybe because she is getting a little deaf.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 23:01:20 »
fireworks should only be on sale 1st nov not the 1st of sept, make it the law mr BROWN!!!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 23:10:28 »
I'm currently in West Drayton (at work) and it's Divali central over here, either that or the locals are having more drive-by shootings than usual.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 23:24:14 »
I think fireworks should only available to organised displays,they are going off constantly and although to us it is only annoying when we had our two beautiful golden retrievers the little one Tyson was absolutely terrified ,he had very sensitive hearing and would shake and paw and claw.Ban the awful things.Our local firestation does a splendid display they're the guys to be in charge of explosives :o :o one night annually PLEASE
sanity is overated

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 23:29:06 »
I agree that fireworks should only be used in organised displays and not sold to the public.  Every time there is a festival we have to suffer the noise, and that can be at any time of year.  They are even used for birthdays, weddings etc.

It is now almost 11:30 and they are still going off.   >:(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 23:35:31 »
Squash I sympathise  :( :( :(They haven't started here ...yet....
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 00:52:54 »
Been going off all night here... we've been watching the world at war... it adds to the "atmospherics"...  :-X

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37:39 »
There have been campagns for decades to try to stop the sale of these highly dangerous explosives. It gets no where.

I refuse to have anything to do with them but every year, shut up shops manage to open up for a few weeks selling fireworks and people keep on buying 'a few for the kids'.

The fire brigade and A & E are the ones who have to pick up the pieces.

We can not take a bottle of water through security at an air port. We can not smoke a cigarette, pipe or cigar anywhere in case it causes harm.  We can not own a firearm. Yet these explosives are allowed to be bought and kept in our houses. Madness

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:45 »
What has happened to the time when the only night you heard fireworks was on 5th November? I know we older ones keep referring back to the good old 60's but whilst I was growing up in east London during 50's and 60's that would have been the only night that fireworks were heard. I think it all comes down to retailers making profit. The longer they sell the more profit they can make. I have no animals but do think it very unfair on the extended season for letting them off. They are and can be pretty but why can't they make silent ones. :-\ We would all be able to enjoy them then. I also agree with organised dispays only. They can be so dangerous and unpredictable. Do hope that you got some peace Squash KR Jean

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:28 »
Personally, and I know this is going to be controversial, I am happy with firework legislation as it is.

Most countries have far more relaxed attitudes towards fireworks, the Italians are crazy with them, Diwali in India is terrifying. It's nice that we still cut loose a little, in a society where everything else is legislated upon so heavily.

I know some pet owners experience difficulties as a result, but I don't think a traditional festival period should be squeezed out because some people experience some seasonal difficulties with something that they chose. To me that seems reactionary, as much so as people demanding dogs be band because some owners can't behave responsibly with them.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:22 »
Squash64   The law is that no fireworks should be set off between 11pm and 7am.   I believe all fireworks have this written on them. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41:42 »
We went to bed at 10pm and they were going off then. We thought perhaps someone had got married at Newhall cos they usually have fireworks
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:47:22 »
They were going off round here last night, now I know why, I'm sure 10 o clock is the cut off period, maybe thats just week days.  ???   :-\   ???   :-\    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 10:13:39 »
those who get annoyed at the noise of fireworks, please spare a thought for all of the families in the world whose peace and quiet is shattered regularly by the noise of guns, bombs, missiles, land-mines etc.
at least the bangs round here don't usually mean another few folk dead.
(rant over)
You couldn't make it up!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:14 »
I wish there was a cut-off time for fireworks, something like 10:00pm maybe. 

There is.  It's 11pm (until 7am) except New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali when it's 1am and Bonfire Night when it's midnight.  I suspect getting the Police to enforce it might be a different matter though.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/fireworks/law.htm

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:48 »
I live in an area of intence grape & lettuce growing & trust me the noise of the bird scarers going off very loudly at all sorts of time during the day at least means my cats are prepared for fireworks, but I do agree they should now only be sold for organized events as they are so much more powerful than in my childhood.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 11:15:54 »
those who get annoyed at the noise of fireworks, please spare a thought for all of the families in the world whose peace and quiet is shattered regularly by the noise of guns, bombs, missiles, land-mines etc.
at least the bangs round here don't usually mean another few folk dead.
(rant over)

Tony,I am sure many of us spare more than a passing thought for these people.

However thankfully we do not have to deal with that problem I fail to see its relevance.

Most of us on here grow veg all the time but is does not mean we are unaware or uncaring about people who are starving in this world.

We had a similar thread this time last year and I got flamed something awful for defending the animals.

The point is to my mind it is cruelty to animals to have these explosives going off for such long periods.It is against the law to cause harm to animals,surely there mental well being is just as important.

I will bow out of this one as I do not want a re run of last year.

The message is still the same.I f you really must have private fire works please keep it short.Even better ,go to an organised event.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 12:41:36 »
Well put Betula !
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal