Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Mares tail

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tenuse:
I'm assuming that the frozen glass has been frozen by a cunning arrangement of small squirrels roped together and tempted by a bunch of ripe acorns to gambol endlessly on a hamster wheel, thus generating enough electricity to power your small shed-freezer.

Ten x

jethro:
Hi Tenuse, sorry wrong ;) not squirrels but big dogs, :o you see the freezer is sooooooooo big  ;D the poor squirrels would not be able to run that fast :-[  and i need a cold drink now and then when digging so i employ dogs. They are paid by the hour with fresh meat :P laced with steroids for energy, and they don't half keep the 'daniels' cool and refreshing :P ;D . I now need a device for planting the veggies, any ideas ???

merv:
HIya  :)

Manufacturer's Blurb. ('tho I know of one plot holder who says he's been successful with it)?

Horsetail (Equisetum spp. mare's tail)

Horsetail is difficult to eradicate because it spreads via deep tubers or roots and also via spores. It is one of the oldest forms of plant life and these spores give rise to moss like plants which produce sperm and need damp conditions to swim to fertilise the female. So usually growth of Horsetail is a sign that the area is prone to dampness.

The tubers of the Horsetail can grow very deep once established and there are reports of miners finding them at 3 metres below soil level!

ROOT OUT is an obvious choice against Horsetail because of its potency, it is systemic and not inactivated by the soil. However, one of the problems with Horsetail is that it tends to grow through other, wanted, plants - and ROOT OUT if applied without care could kill these too.

Suggested Method of Treatment

When the Horsetail starts to show for the season (usually late spring):
Move from the affected area any plants which you want to save. However, be careful because the Horsetail tubers may be transferred with their root system and thus serve to perpetuate the problem.

Treat the area with 100g/500ml/m2 (2lb/gallon/100sq feet) ROOT OUT in either a plastic watering can (wash out very well afterwards) or sprayer.

After 8-12 weeks you can replant the area, but it is quite likely that you will still find weaker growth of Horsetail reappearing (although some trials claim to have eradicated Horsetail in one season with one application). Make up a small amount (sufficient for one week) of the 100g/500ml solution and store in a well labelled container (out of childrens reach, etc) and pour down the fronds (unless in the middle of a wanted plant) as or when they appear. This is time consuming, there is no doubt, but it does allow you to replant the garden and avoid it looking unsightly.

If you do not want to replant, leave for the season and see whether you get regrowth, and treat as necessary

Hugh_Jones:
So what are you waiting for? Go on - we`re all dying to hear what happens.

Tenuse:
Jethro, I think that sadly the only solution for planting veggies is the same as that for eradicating mares tail - a lot of HARD WORK ALCOHOL

Ten x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version