Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Water Butts

(1/3) > >>

Tenuse:
Hello everyone.

Work continues apace on my allotment which is celebrating its 6-week-old birthday!

I am going to get a water butt (or several) but I don't have a shed to catch water off via drainpipes.

How do you catch rainwater if your water butt is supposed to be covered all the time???????

I am imagining big funnel contraptions. Do I just have to get in the car whenever it rains and take all the lids off?

Ten x  :P

Ceri:
if you did cover one of them with a funnel contraption - I guess like an upside down umbrella and secured it into place, you would only need a smallish hole in the centre for the rain to get into one barrel - I wouldn't have thought you would lose that much water through evaporation from one small hole, as the funnel thing itself would act as the lid?

Mrs Ava:
hmmmm....I have the same dilemma - no shed currently and as we have no piped water on site, water butts are a must.  So tell me, as I am a little jaded at this time of night, why must you keep the lid on your butts?  (sounds rude..heheheheh)

jethro:
Hi EJ, you keep your lids on to stop your pants geting dirty ;D . The real reason is to stop your water going green  ::)with the algae, or in your case jaded, get it green  :-/ i know sick joke :-X .

Mrs Ava:
Cheeky!  ;D
The water butt in my garden goes green, and it has a lid on!  Not terribly green, just a little peasoupy.  Surely this doesn't harm your waterings?  I know you should use clean water on seeds so you don't get damping off and other yuckies, but on plants already in situ, does it do harm?????   ;D :o ??? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version