Author Topic: Egg colour ?  (Read 1649 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
Egg colour ?
« on: August 24, 2009, 15:02:25 »
What determines the colour of the eggs laid by our hens? I always thought it was the breed of hen but this morning I found that one of my girls has laid a really pale looking egg much lighter than usual, the shell is ok though not thin at all and I havent cracked it yet to check the inside.

Just wonder if anyone can shed some light onto this......
You always love your children more than they love you...

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
Re: Egg colour ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 15:29:46 »
brown hens tend to have brown eggs

old wives tale about grocers trick  - trying get brown eggs by soaking them in strong tea

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 15:44:00 »
ours are all dark browny -red, we regularly get the pale ones, plus very long or very large eggs  ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 15:48:43 »
The basic colour of the shell is down to breeding and the particular strain. For example, Copper Marans generally lay dark brown eggs but particular strains lay exceptionally dark eggs.

Over a seasonal laying period all egg shell colouring tends to pale. Either side of a laying period (just before or after a moult) the shell colour/shape can be eratic as well.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 16:06:00 »
There currently has been a problem with the chicken food that I buy in bulk and the usual one I buy - Farmers Gate - is not available and I have had to buy whatever I can get hold of!

The food I got hold of looks a lot lighter and dustier than  my other one and I read the label and it has colouring in it!!  For the egg colour!  My current eggs are not as yellow as before - so could be something to do with this?!

I am hoping my normal supplier will be back at the end of the month so I will have the usual colour back!

Old Bird

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal