Author Topic: Destroys your faith in human nature  (Read 4461 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Destroys your faith in human nature
« on: June 28, 2009, 14:30:10 »
For the second year in a row, my gooseberries have been thieved.  Fruit cage net slashed. 

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Destroys your faith in human nature
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 14:36:30 »
really really sorry to hear that.
Anne

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 14:39:22 »
It does indeed! So disheartening when something like that happens.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 14:42:43 »
sorry to hear about the theft weve had a few thefts this year on our plot, last year someone took every pear off my tree, earlier this week we had a visit from the council who have now agreed to put up security fencing and a bigger gate, they wont stop the thieves but they may deter some of them.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 14:51:59 »
It used to drive me to despair when thieves and vandals hit our plots

Sir Henry of Rawlinson End (aka Viv Stanshall) had the answer.

Inject a marrow with regular doses of a strong laxative-then when the so and sos pinch it it will give them the gip for weeks ;D

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 14:53:55 »
How annoying for you, I sympathise wholeheartedly. (Someone nicked my pears last year too). Especially annoying when the thieves take things that aren't even ripe yet because they are too thick to know the difference.

Hope you get the rest of your crops without interference, and that your gooseberry bushes were spiney enough to cause a few lacerations.

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 15:02:38 »
It's always shocking when something like this happens, shocking that there are some people who can reach that low in their barrel of grimness and still sleep at night. It's all to easy to let those mean spirited folk leave you feeling disheartened and downbeat, I hope you won't let that happen, there's too much digging to be done !

Keep your pecker up, see what you can do to increase the security of your plot, call a meeting,  just do something but whatever you do, don't let the thieving **** grind you down.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 15:04:15 »
Sorry to hear this, lets hope they spiked themselves picking them...

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 15:16:00 »
Thanks everyone.  Pretty sure this is an inside job and got a fair idea of who it might be but no proof.  There is a history of gooseberry and pear thefts on our site.  I looked at them on Friday and decided that another couple of sunny days would just get them properly ripe  :(  I'm putting a sign at the front of my plot tomorrow that will read:

"TO THE THIEF, WHO FOR THE SECOND YEAR RUNNING, CUT MY NETS AND STOLE MY GOOSEBERRIES OVER THE WEEKEND:

THE GOOSEBERRIES HAD BEEN SPRAYED WITH A PARTICULARLY NASTY INSECTICIDE TO KILL THE SAWFLIES AND NEEDED TO BE LEFT ON THE BUSHES FOR ANOTHER 7 DAYS TO BECOME SAFE TO EAT.  ENJOY!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 21:50:34 »
so sorry to hear this ceres, don't it p*ss you off?
(I noticed today that someone has nicked a whole row of my garlic)
chin up, matey!!
You couldn't make it up!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 21:54:07 »
why do people have to take what is not theirs or destroy it, if they were starving you could understand it but would your first choice be gooseberries if you were???
im sorry to hear of your plight i had some mindless vandalism lately and although i really want to rip the culprits head off im a strong believer in what goes around comes around, sit back and watch the space honey

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 21:58:13 »
 :( :( :( We are lucky that we haven't had anything (touch wood) taken from our plots. I would be raving mad if anything was!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 22:07:14 »
We have a gooseberry thief as well, my gooseberries were stolen for the 4th year in a row.....they were not ripe but the only picked one bush to start with so when I found some had gone i picked all the big ones off the other bushes. The next day the remaining fruit was gone. So we had one gooseberry crumble.....off 6 bushes! :'(

I was going to put a sprayed sign on in advance but i forgot.
My husband wants me to build a 'bear pit' for next year!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 22:18:11 »
Between yesterday morning and this evening someone stole five bieta - they were quite small, and looked like lettuce.  Hope they thought they were lettuce.

I fear there will be a lot more thieving now, allotments and veg growing has had so much publicity the lightfingered have it made really.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 22:22:03 »
Most pilfering is done by other lottie holders... they have more opportunity.. It's just catching the B*stards at it... which reminds me two youths were looking at my neighbours plot on Friday... I've been away all weekend, hope nothing has gone walkies...  :-\

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 22:24:51 »
It just defies belief, doesn't it?  If you're going to steal fruit , why gooseberries when there's a strawberry bed with loads of ripe berries and blackcurrant bushes dripping with fruit?

That's another odd thing to be stolen asbean.  These are people with allotment plots so why don't they just grow the things they want rather than stealing them from the rest of us.  Grrrr. >:(

I'm liking Kea's idea of a bear pit!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 22:30:15 »
How awful Ceres.Someone pinched one cucumber last year and I was gutted.

I was so lucky today.

Went to the plot.Left and went to next village to get some petrol.Eek no handbag.Radley bag,worth a couple of hundred quid containing cards and cashhad been left on my bench on the lottie.Rushed back and it was still sitting where I had left it...........so lucky.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 22:36:58 »
Whew!  Close shave betula.  It's the heat addling our brains I think!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 22:47:27 »
 Ceres, so sorry love to hear that a rotten thief had been at work, hope they
got/get, the trots for a week.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 23:08:51 »
Not good news at all.  Most of our plot holders have built their own fence to protect their plots in recent years.  Apparently, one plot holder helps himself  to the outer brassica leaves from other plots to feed his hens.  I have just got materials to build mine as I do not have a fence at present,  all open-plan :( :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal