Author Topic: How long should I wait for a plot ?  (Read 3189 times)

trogg

• Not So New ...
How long should I wait for a plot ?
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:17:09 »
Hi, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place,

About two and a half years ago I put my name down for a plot.
I was shown around the allotment and told that there was 4 plots coming up ( 2 new and 2 existing) but other people on the list would be given first refusal, he took my name, address and phone number and told me they would be in touch when something comes up.

I've been down to the allotments 'open days' on several occasions but haven't spoken to any of the committee (always looked busy) and haven't took it any further because I was told you can wait years for a plot.

However, I have found out(friend of a friend) that 2 people have been given plots who have been waiting less than 2 years, also 2 other plot holders have had second plots given to them.

I realise I should of probably been to see the committee more often, but I can't go now and start complaining, because I have no proof of either, when I put my name down or who was on the list before me.

Sorry for the long post, what do you think should be my first move ?

thanks
boing boing

Justy

• Hectare
Re: How long should I wait for a plot ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:37:28 »
I think you need to speak to whoever allocates the plots as soon as possible. Are you sure the plots are allocated by the committee? Our committee has no control over that at all it is done by the Parish Council so it may be that you spoke to the wrong people in the first instance?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:40:41 »
Do you remember who you spoke to ? Is the site council run or like ours self managed ?I would definately go back and speak to whoever you can find and phone the council if the're' in charge. From experience of the people in charge on our site ,they take notice of folk who politely "pester" on a regular basis.We have a shop which is run by the local horticultural society which we joined before we got our plot so we got to know many of the people invoved on the site,that way they got to know us and we weren't just a name on a list.Good luck :)Though i fear with the high demand at present i think you'll need it :(
sanity is overated

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:43:56 »
You need to immediately contact the person who keeps the waiting list and find out where you are on this.
It could be that they have tried to contact you, without success.
Its difficult to say 'how long' you should wait for a plot because it will depend on the size of the site and how popular it is - in the last couple of years we've had about a 10% turnover of plots in a year but this year, we only had one plot given up - and we have a long waiting list, those near the top have been waiting for over a year.  

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:02:15 »
Thanks all for your quick replies,

It said on the council web site to contact the allotment directly, so I believe It's self run.

Going down to see them just now, You can't normally get into the allotments because of the gates are normally locked, but they leave them open on the weekend.

Wish me luck  :)

oh, and I think I should of posted this on the 'Allotment Movement ' board  ::)
boing boing

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:46:04 »
We have had problems with people on waiting lists becoming very irate with allotment committee's because of their long wait for a plot so therefore,anyone wanting a plot must register with the council and not the allotment committee anymore.

To give a plot holder another one when there is a waiting list is not on!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:52:33 »
Welcome to A4A Trogg...
Hope you don't have to wait much longer. It is best to keep a high profile with regular (polite) enquiries...  :)

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 14:32:25 »
On the other hand we had two plots to let on our site the manager sent out 14 letters before he got someone to reply so if you are really interested as other people have said go for the pester power option, the people who really want an  allotment are those with a spade already in the car not those who what to go away and have a family discusion, good luck on getting a plot.

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 14:47:37 »
Just got back, they seemed to be a little confused on who I was, to be honest I don't think my name ever got into the book.

In hindsight I should of gone down and asked before, but I didn't want to bother them, just thought they would contact me when something came up  :-\

They have a few events during the summer so I'll just keep on showing my face, also go in and see them around October time, when there is less interest.

Thanks for the welcome, only been a member since September 2007  :-[  but it's hard to post about anything if you don't have a plot  :)
boing boing

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 14:48:58 »
Polite pestering certainly helps. Our committee tend to give slightly higher priority to people who are willing to take on more difficult plots that have been neglected for a while and need rescuing. Having said that, we've had to close our waiting list until 2010 because demand has mushroomed and there are far too many people on it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 14:51:24 »
Are you on the waiting list now?  How many people are ahead of you?  Did they give you an idea of how long it might take?

I think you need to be a little more assertive if you really want a plot.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 14:55:58 »
I would be tempted to play up the point that someone has failed to put you on the waiting list and ask politely what they intend to do about it? I think it would not hurt to point out that people you know who have waited less time have already got plots! I would even go as far to ask how long the person at the top of the waiting list has actually been on it....and if it's less than you ask to go to the top!! But that just me........I wouldn't have waited so patiently as you did!!! ::) ;D ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 15:43:19 »
Welcome to A4A, trogg, as you can see we are a helpful bunch here, and we don't just talk about allotments!!!

Find out when the rent is due, usually at the end of the a year letters are sent out for plot holders to sign that they want the plot for the next year, and how much rent is due etc etc. That is often the point where some people decided to give up, or have given up already and don't renew.

Just ask what number you are on the waiting list, and contact them every couple of months or so, to find out how quickly you are working your way to the top.  It may come round quicker than you think.

Good luck  :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 16:26:15 »
Found out I'm number 11, didn't ask when I first went down to be put on the list. ::)
but was expecting 2 years.

I don't have any proof at the moment that anything has gone wrong.

The only a third party, who I haven't spoken to, that mentioned it to my mate (when he found out how long I'd been waiting)  But I get the Impression he doesn't want to get involved .

We'll wait and see.
boing boing

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 16:56:18 »
I did a similar thing, waited over a year for a plot with no news. Then thought I should show my face a bit more often so turned up most weeks to ask how things were going. It took a month or so after that to get a plot so agree that polite pestering/showing keenness may help.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 00:37:06 »
On our site the waiting list is now around 4 years,  longer if you want a plot to keep a few chickens as only 20% are allocated for this.  I have just taken the role of allotment supervisor and get the new "waiting lists" in 2 weeks once all rents should of been paid. 

I hope to allocate several plots after this date as it is usually when plots become vacant, rather than paying another years rent.  Having walked round our site, I reckon about 7-9 plots are currently a wilderness but will see what happens or if anybody has a valid reason for uncultivated plots. 

One final thought for you to think about:  our council ruling is that if budding allotmenteers do not wish to take the offered plot, they go to the bottom of the list.  With over 50 people on our waiting lists I do not expect to be short of takers.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:45:43 »
I'd contact them via email, so you have proof of the date you registered.

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 09:59:41 »
Actually, that's a very good idea lewic  :)

The allotments are only 5 minutes walk away, so I thought I'd pop down to see them rather that email or phoning them, but with hindsight .........

Yesterday I emailed 2 other sites, only a 5 minute drive away, and today I'm phoning 3 others, 1 only a 5 minute drive, the other 2 a 10 minute drive away and they have plots available according to the council web site.

But the last 2 are in a inner-city area, you can see the smashed greenhouses from google earth  :(

Would of loved my nearest one, my youngest daughter came with me and wanted one herself  :) some of the plots had 'childrens' gardens at the front, and the whole site looked well kept.

By the time I get one she'll be more interested in boys than Brussels sprouts   :o
boing boing

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:33 »
Hi trogg welcome to A4A as stated it takes as long as it does but will say one thing
When i obtained my plot i found out there was four people on the list before me but on speaking to the organ grinder found out this list had been in place for some time not one person on the list had bothered to go back and forth to keep in touch thus he scrapped the list and i had first refusal on two plots .
my point is i went back and forth at least three to four times and bugged him for a couple of weeks .
things might be a little different these days as everyone wants one
try and make freinds with the local plot holders have also found comming on a recomendation at times has a little weight behind it as well

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:13 »
Might sound a bit thick here but can someone explain to me how a waiting list works in regards to years,ie,if you are told the waiting list is 4 years,how do they work it out?  :-\
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal