Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2  (Read 11138 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2004, 09:00:01 »
Like 44kbs?? = Tim

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 17:27:33 »
Richard - PS - if not the connection, how do you assess the machine's capability? Is it something to do with the CPU? And what is a good or bad spec? = Tim

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2004, 18:20:11 »
Hi Tim

Have picked my son's brains ( A level ICT student ) , and apparently there are far too many variables to do a proper comparison !!
e.g. speed of processor, type of modem, ISP and time of day accessing the web, storage on hard drive, etc, etc.

But, for what it's worth, I have 2.2 GHz processor, 56k modem, Freeserve ISP, and loads of son's games clogging up the hard drive, and test result was  48 secs !!

Hope this helps a little !   :)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2004, 18:37:36 »
OK - so 44 is worse than 56, obviously. But is the speed of the processor the 2.2 figure? Ours is 2.4, so no blame there? Server? BT. Who knows. And it's always slow, if slow it is! Thanks, MD = Tim

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2004, 18:49:42 »
More brain picking for you Tim!  ;D

The CPU is the main microchip, or the 'brain' , and yes, the processor speed is measured in MHz or GHz.

Think I might browse through son's coursework, seems quite interesting !  :)

Just a thought, do you log on at approx same time every day? A friend has found that the server she uses definitely runs faster at 2am compared to 2pm !!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2004, 20:11:32 »
Thanks.

So I'm average?

Good.

No - anyhing from 5.30 am to 3 am! We have an owl for a daughter. Talking of which, they're out in force tonight! = Tim

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2004, 21:26:30 »
Tim! dunno if this helps but Pit stop will test your speed free give it a go and let us know (I'm a poet) ;D
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2004, 22:06:11 »
Oddly enough, the fact that it has a higher speed rating does not necessarily mean that a computer will actually boot up any more quickly.  Quite apart from that fact, the length of time to boot up will also depend on the programs other than Windows which are part of the start up.  Obvious ones are Anti-virus and Firewall, which can delay final start up, particularly if the Anti-virus runs a quick check on your temporary and internet files first - a large and complex program such as McAfee 7 slows down booting quite considerably; other (such as Messenger, Quick Time, etc) instal themselves in start up as you instal the main programs

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2004, 09:51:59 »
Thanks for both of those.
I only gave booting up as a measurable example - it's more the up & down-loading of photos or text that tests ones patience.

Pitstop? One can't get out of there in the average F1 time of 10 secs - fascinating!!  It seems that we're not to bad - but should 'remove spyware'. Should we??

Since stumbling upon it last night, I've had a lot of fun with

http://www.seniornet.org/php/default.php - especially the 'Courses' bit. = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2004, 22:30:59 »
I`m surprised at you tim. That`s for old people.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2004, 11:11:43 »
Nice for those who know nothing, though? The way it takes you through an exercise? = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2004, 13:42:32 »
yep, speed of a connection to a website depends on lots of things. Even on broadband internet (around 500 kbps), things can be slow if the site you are accessing is busy for example, or not working properly maybe.

Of course a slow connection (56kbps or less) will make even a superfast computer (2 Ghz or more processor), seem like a slowboat when accessing the internet.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2004, 16:41:18 »
True Richard.
Often encounter 'server too busy', hence the wander into backgarden with cig and camera to take photos of lightening storms and full moon  ;D  Haha !

Unfortunately, Broadband still isn't available to those of us who live far away from civilization !  ::)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2004, 10:16:39 »
Wonders never cease?

Held back on getting SP2 because I was frightened of losing valuable photos. There was 'so much to do & to read before downloading'. And I'm not checked out in backing up etc. But this am, the box told me that there was an update available - did I want it? - of course - so the thing rushes off & downloads SP2 without any help from me - setting new restore point, archiving info etc. Hope this helps someone who, like me, was chicken.

Then I immediately had to download a 'Cumulative Security Update'.
But we seem to be getting there?? = Tim
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 08:19:33 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal