Author Topic: Firewalls and the like.  (Read 2247 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Firewalls and the like.
« on: October 07, 2004, 09:56:13 »
So as not to cloud the SP2 site, may I say here that I'm now totally bemused. Used to have 'Adaware', as Hugh & others use, but in going for an re-installation, I find 'No-adaware' offered - which seems to suggest that Adaware & Spyware are bad!! = Tim

Hugh_Jones

Re:Firewalls and the like.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 22:04:54 »
Are you sure that you`re going into the genuine Ad-aware site, tim.  There is a large number of sites offering versions of Ad-aware, but a lot of them contain their own adware.  Go to Ad-aware`s owqn site and they will suppy links to several authorised downloaders.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 19:27:11 »
TOTALLY CONFUSED!
Trying to help a chum, & reading Ken's thing, decided to look further.

1. 'Adware' is bad? 'Adaware' is good?
2. Re-joined Adaware who found 288 thingies. Who is to say that they actually existed? Who is to say that they have actually been binned? Is this just an advertising ploy? And has anything of value to me gone?
3. We have Panda anti-virus & Stopzilla anti-spam. They show a clean bill of health. So why do I pay for them if a cheapo will sort things out?
4. Everyone to their own but - before settling on what you've got -  did anyone do a comparative evaluation? And surely you should get more value from a paid facility??

Please answer in one word!! = Tim

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 20:05:24 »
Anti-virus and Anti spam do not stop 'clean' Cookies from being inserted into your Computer when you visit a site. Adaware and Spybot and the others do not get rid of virus or spam, they get rid of these cookies.
And yes they do what they claim to do.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 20:17:00 »
Hear, Hear!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 20:58:40 »
I'm sure it'll sink in?? = Tim

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 21:03:56 »
4. Everyone to their own but - before settling on what you've got -  did anyone do a comparative evaluation? And surely you should get more value from a paid facility??
You'd think so, but there are many on the internet quite willing to fleece you if they think they can get away with it.
You have to sort the wheat from the chaff although the majority do give value for money.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 20:25:17 »
:( There are comparative reviews out there - with just about as much credibility :( .   Never underestimate the technical savvy of scumbag endeavour - not only do they produce genuinely nasty products, named to confuse (and cause immense trouble), but they're not beyond writing reviews as well!  :(

The "real" AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D caught my attention when I was looking at various UK university websites; the same names came up again and again - from professional but cash-strapped IT departments.  Dunno - but for me a better level of recommendation, when I don't know who's written the review - or why!

All best - Gavin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal