Author Topic: AVG Anti-virus  (Read 2820 times)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
AVG Anti-virus
« on: October 27, 2004, 23:01:43 »
Do you always stop companies contacting you about updates and the like - I do;  only found out about this one by chance.

For anybody else using AVG Antivirus, support for the current version will stop at the end of December.

A new version will be available for download in early November - update, lads and lassies?

More info on http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5443/lng/us

All best - Gavin

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:AVG Anti-virus
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 23:39:02 »
Timely warning for me - use AVG.  Thanks Gavin
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 09:28:26 »
Hi Gavin...should I stop AVG automatic updates.Is there a danger?

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 10:43:54 »
cheers gavin,  ;)

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 17:30:00 »
Another question Gavin...my Zone Alarm (I must have given permission) has given AVG access to the internet from this machine. Do you think that maybe data is going back to AVG.Or..have I got it all wrong.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 21:26:19 »
AVG is normally recommended as being a `safe` (i.e.non-adware/spyware) anti-virus.  However it cannot be expected to safeguard your computer unless its data file is continually kept up to date with details of viruses as they appear, for which it requires internet access, and you should continue to allow this until you update to the new version.

I do not use AVG, but my own Anti-virus (McAfee) is set for automatic downloads of all updates, and my Firewall is set to allow it permanent access without reference to me.  Updates appear two or three times each week, which indicates how vital this is.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 22:29:13 »
Sorry, ken68 - I've caused confusion :-(

Hugh has it right - there's no problem
- with automatic updates for AVG (a good idea, indeed, when the virus dictionaries are updated so often)
- nor with allowing it access through your firewall (AVG has to have the access to get the updates).

No, I was thinking of the nasty little check boxes - you know the kind, "Tick here, or we will bombard you with 10 e-mails a day telling you how wonderful we are; then we'll sell your address to 10 others, who will do likewise."  :-( :-(

All best - Gavin

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 23:17:07 »
Gavin - do you also use Ad-aware? i noticed on a download site they have a new(?) Special edition (free) which i dont think i use, is it worth the upgrade. (obviously if you dont use it i am making no sense at all!! ;D)

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 09:11:45 »
Thanks Gavin/Hugh....I have Ad-Aware SE, Oub.,no problems, it highlighted a couple of risks but nothing since so must be working.When downloading it will remove the old version auto...Regards Ken..p.s. what I would really like is to send a virus to all the hackers that Z.A catches.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal