Author Topic: More infor on planting plans?  (Read 1258 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
More infor on planting plans?
« on: September 10, 2004, 16:54:23 »
Hey folks
following on from my question about everyones planting plans.... ???
how much space say in feet do you allow for your specific vegetable
groups? I know for instance my brassica bed will be huge but i am so unsure as to how big it should be or even if it should consist of more than one bed?  How do i know how much i will need for eating and then freezing? i did read somewhere you need 5-6 runner bean plants per person and double that if you want to freeze!? also potatoes will be about 6kgs of planting tubers per person! thats a lot of spuds!
Does anyone understand what i am getting at?
help would as always be greatly appreciated, you are all so helpful

Jemma xxx

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:More infor on planting plans?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 17:28:25 »
Whoever it was who set this all out before will, I'm sure, refer you to his (I think) very useful message.

An important thing to remember is continuity, or succession, or whatever you call it. You don't want 15 cauliflowers ready at the same time. But you'll always get them!! So - leave space in each row for the successive plantings. Don't start another row some distance away, or you'll run into rotation problems. On the other hand, with cabbages, for instance, winter varieties   should be kept together so that the summer plot can more easily be dug over. If you get my drift?? = Tim
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 17:29:12 by tim »

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
Re:More infor on planting plans?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 17:00:24 »
Hello

well im a little new and probably fruit will be my thing next yr but im just going to plant what i think i need and then if im lucky and some are short and others to much i shall alter to as and what i need next yr

Tim how much time do you leave between row ? plant each week or is it down to 2 or 3 days ?

chhers

carl
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 17:01:06 by carloso »
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal