Author Topic: Growing Potatoes in Containers - photos included  (Read 72911 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Growing Potatoes in Containers - photos included
« on: March 14, 2009, 18:11:08 »
I am growing Potatoes for the first time this year and due to lack of space I'm using an old compost bag.  I thought I'd use this thread to show my progress stage by stage in the hope it's useful to others new to this - assuming it works! 

The seed Potatoes I'm using are a first early called Swift.  They were set out to chit on the kitchen work surface (by the back door where it is frost free and light but there is no direct sunlight) on 14 February and this is how they looked last weekend.

I turned the 56lt compost bag inside out and folded down the sides until it was about 70cm tall. 

I made lots of holes in the bottom and around the sides towards the bottom and added a good layer of broken crocks.

Today I added 15cm of organic and peat free compost and mixed in 10-15g of slow release organic potato feed.  I set the seed Potatoes into the compost.

Then I added another 15cm of compost, firmed it down, watered well and added a label with the name and date planted.

I topped it off with a plastic bell cloche to keep my cat off.  Now I just have to make sure the compost doesn't dry out and wait for the shoots to appear.   :)

Watch this space!

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Growing Potatoes in Containers - photos included
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 18:28:09 »
Looking good G! I shall compare these to the first four of mine that I plant on the plot, which will hopefully be later in the month. It'll be interesting to see just how we both do!  xx
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 18:35:36 »
Could I grow spuds in any large bag, provided I cut holes in it at the lower end?

One of those builders bags?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 18:40:28 »
Could I grow spuds in any large bag, provided I cut holes in it at the lower end?

One of those builders bags?

Yes.  You can grow them in any container providing it's at least 30cm in diameter and 30cm deep but the bigger the better I'm told.   :)

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 18:46:20 »
Yes the bags should be fine the bigger the better, just piece a few holes in the bottom and copy the stages that Georgie has done, Georgie I take it your joining the spud challenge now, I think my challenge posting has gone on to page two so I hope to see your message on there.  ;D ;D ;D  :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 18:56:28 »
Georgie I take it your joining the spud challenge now, I think my challenge posting has gone on to page two so I hope to see your message on there.  ;D ;D ;D  :-*

Ooops, I'd assumed your post was for lotty holders.  I'll go have a look.   :)

G x

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 18:59:13 »
Brilliant! Just what I need to refer to for one of my laydees 8)

btw....what is this 'slow-release organic potato feed' to which you refer, please? Spect my laydee might need some of that & it's a new one on me :-[
Ta!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 19:11:35 »
Brilliant! Just what I need to refer to for one of my laydees 8)

btw....what is this 'slow-release organic potato feed' to which you refer, please? Spect my laydee might need some of that & it's a new one on me :-[
Ta!

Thanks.  It's made by Vitax and the good thing is you can use it for other vegetables in containers.  Here's a link:

http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?id=1351

G x

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 19:19:17 »
in pots works, too!
[attachment=1]
(wed afternoon at college)
You couldn't make it up!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 19:24:23 »
Bookmarked, thanks Georgie 8)

My laydee bought Desiree I think.

They going to be OK in tubs, then?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 19:36:19 »
Bookmarked, thanks Georgie 8)

My laydee bought Desiree I think.

They going to be OK in tubs, then?

Hmmm, that's a maincrop isn't it?  Guess it'll be okay if the containers are large enough but I'm a novice so I don't really know.

G x

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 19:42:45 »
I wondered, too :-\

This laydee is addicted to the Shopping Channel on daytime TV..never know what she's bought from one week to the next - and she bought 3kg of them..gonna be a lot of tubs then :o

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 19:45:22 »
I am going to plant mine in tubs next week - its all very exciting, well it is when its the first time trying something  :)

daisydoo

• Not So New ...
  • Leeds
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 19:55:06 »
I'll follow this thread with interest. I usually grow my potatoes on the lottie but have decided this year to grow my earlies in containers on the patio at home.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 20:05:35 »
tony....is that one pot per pot -so to speak? And are they earlies you're doing?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 22:18:24 »
yes they are earlies hyacinth, one per pot, and not mine, but a fellow student is growing them for an experiment! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:16 »
Really usefull guide thanks, be sure to show us the updated pics, like at what stage in the shooting you put another layer over etc.

Im growing potatoes for the first time this year, Im a bit behind though as I only bought mine last weekend, I got 5 of each to try, Pentland Javlin, Desiree, Charlotte and Anya, chitting in the kitchen at the moment.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 09:22:21 »
I am growing mine in bags for the first time this year too.   I started off using my potato grow bags but found I ran out before I finished planting.   The excess seed spuds are now happily esconced in some of those green heavy duty garden waste bags & so far all the spuds are doing fine.

If it works out well I might as well save money and use the garden waste bags every year as they are significantly cheaper to buy.

CC

ps - will also try to post photos of my efforts.
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:21:28 »
Georgie, do you add more compost when the shoots appear? 

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:40 »
Georgie, do you add more compost when the shoots appear? 

Yes that's the plan, Pauline.  I'll wait until the shoots are about 15cm high, unroll some of the sack and add more compost leaving the tips of the plants showing.  The pot equivalent of 'earthing up'.   :)

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal