Author Topic: Can spuds be left in the ground once in flower?  (Read 4129 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Can spuds be left in the ground once in flower?
« on: June 27, 2009, 22:19:16 »
My maincrop Desiree and Majestic are all in flower yet my Aaron Pilot 1st earlies and Kestrel 2nd earlies have no flowers at all ???  Any body else having the same flowers?  Tomorrow I will dig one of each variety up to see if they all need to come up.  Though it does seem early. 

Can they be left in the ground once in flower?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Can spuds be left in the ground once in flower?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 22:44:53 »
For heaven`s sake don`t start digging them up just because  they`re in flower, because the fact that they are flowering means absolutely nothing at all with regard to potato production.

With regard to the Arran Pilot, there are many first early varieties which don`t flower at all (I can`t remember whether Arran Pilot is one of them), but all you need to do is remove some of the earthed up soil from around them with your fingers and probe among the roots to feel for spuds.

As to the 2nd early and maincrop, they will all flower, but the flower production has no connection whatever with potato production.  The plants will let you know when they have made all the tubers they are going to by the tops simply dying back, and they will not be fully mature until this happens.
Furthermore, they probably aren`t going to be ready until after you`ve finished the Arran Pilot anyway.

When you`ve dug all the Arran Pilot, then you can think about the Kestrel, but if you want to keep them then you must leave them in the groiund for a full 2 weeks after the foliage has died down or been cut back, or the skins won`t set, and they won`t keep.

Leave the Desiree and Majestic until they die down on their own, or until you have to cut the foliage back for blight

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 23:36:45 »
Might be nice to dig some up to see if you do have some spuds to eat now - I can't resist having a gentle dig around now, whether or not they're in flower. Don't grow many potatoes, as don't have the room but it's nice to have new ones on the plate. Flowers seem to be an indication of whether there may be tubers formed, a lot of folk say this. But, since potatoes are stem tubers rather than root tubers, it's logical that once the top stems start dying back then the tubers underneath stop growing but I don't actually know this.
Mine will be all dug up within the next month or so anyway, if they're left too long in the ground the slugs get them, and I want to use it for other things.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:13 »
With regard to the Arran Pilot, there are many first early varieties which don`t flower at all (I can`t remember whether Arran Pilot is one of them), but all you need to do is remove some of the earthed up soil from around them with your fingers and probe among the roots to feel for spuds.

My Arran Pilot are flowering merrily. Not that I'm digging them up yet. Have a firkle and see.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:27:26 »
Didn't know that bit about leaving in the ground to ripen. Thanks Kepouros!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:29:35 »
I like a nice young Desiree, so have pinched a few potatoes.  Does not seem to upset the plant too much.  But I did not grow earlies. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:18:46 »
our kestrel plants died off without flowering, we now have a 56lb bag in the garage  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:42:57 »
I shouldn't say it, but my Kestrels are looking nice and healthy with full greenery, but I have Rocket and Lady Christl to dig before I can get anywhere near them.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 15:49:30 »
I've dug up some of my Arran Pilot-some had flowered, some hadn't!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal