Author Topic: What does keeping hens involve?  (Read 2718 times)

Natsb

• Not So New ...
What does keeping hens involve?
« on: March 03, 2009, 17:12:36 »
Hi there,

I would really love to have some hens at home, but we rent and are not allowed pets  :(

I can keep them at the allotment, but I was hoping someone could give me a typical rundown of the time-keeping involved, what they do when on holiday, what if they can't get to the plot etc?

I don't want to take them on if I can't give them the care they need

Thanks
Nats

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
Re: What does keeping hens involve?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 20:15:45 »
Hi Nat, basic needs are bit of space,shelter,security in case of foxes. It really depends on your allotment site, they dont need a lot of time...let them out in morning and feed and put to bed at night,if you have friendly lotty neighbour...maybe they would help you out? You can buy a automatic door...which you set on a timer to let them out. But be warned, i'm glad ours arn't at the lotty, I would never get anything done, I'd spend all the time watching them lol.
Lottie xx

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 20:50:55 »
have a word with your landlord. When they say no pets its normaly in the house. As the hens would be in the garden they might agree as long as you dont want more than 3-5 hens there should not be a problem.
Cost nothing to ask?

Holidays my neighbrough is always willing to look after the hens but not my dogs he likes dogs but hens are easier and free eggs ;) ;) ;)

fresh water daily and top the feeder up does not take long and clean them out weekly/fortnghtly depends on the weather.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:41 »
Hens on your allotment need visiting 2 times a day once in the morning once late afternoon or evening.. It's quite pleasant in the spring and summer but they still need looking after in the winter. Some days you may have to unfreeze your locks and your fingers. :) Take water from home if the lotty taps are frozen.
Trail through the sludge and get  soaked when it's raining .
 You need some one you can really rely if for some reason you cant do it that day ..They can't be missed a day ..They don't know its Christmas day and that your not feeling at your best from the night before. They still need seeing to .
Sorry if this sounds like doom and gloom but you did ask what it entailed .
After saying all this I have kept  poultry on my lotty for quite a number of years and wouldn't be without em .

Cheers .. Jim

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:28:33 »
Thanks for the grim reality, Growmore. I was starting to wonder if it might be quite nice to keep some hens.. thought maintenance-wise they were a bit like fish! I'll be sticking with Asda...

Natsb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 14:42:37 »
Its the grim reality that worries me ;)

I have a toddler and we are planning to have more children soon, and my other half would laugh if I even suggested he get his trainers muddy.... so I would have to be sure I could manage to get to the allotment EVERY day, and I don't think I can guarentee that when 8months pregnant!! It would be fine now, but they are a long term commitment.

I guess I should ask the landlord nicely... you are right, at worst he can say no.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 17:50:00 »
Hi Nats,

I'll contradict what Growmore said...  I leave mine for up to 3 days when my shifts fall that way. If they have dry, draught free housing and enough food and water (that doesn't freeze) and you can keep their house poo free then they can go without.

If they are in a secure run then they won't need letting out or shutting in, they put them selves to bed. Saying all this I do visit mine every day if I can if only to check them over and give 'em cuddles.

BTW My son is 19months now and he loves visiting them.

Jon

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 18:35:19 »
They still need seeing to when you are on holiday and Christmas day too.  Then they also need cleaning out regularly to prevent disease.  Good thing is that the waste from cleaning them out makes brilliant chicken manure for the plot.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:58:16 »
Hi Nats,

I'll contradict what Growmore said...  I leave mine for up to 3 days when my shifts fall that way. If they have dry, draught free housing and enough food and water (that doesn't freeze) and you can keep their house poo free then they can go without.

If they are in a secure run then they won't need letting out or shutting in, they put them selves to bed. Saying all this I do visit mine every day if I can if only to check them over and give 'em cuddles.

BTW My son is 19months now and he loves visiting them.

Jon
I could say a lot .But all I willl say is. How in these last few weks have you managed to keep your water from freezing?. How if you are leaving eggs in your nest boxes for up to 3 days do you stop the birds shuffling about amongst them and breaking one or two and then stop the birds from eating these, consequently finishing up with a flock of eggeaters that are not worth a light ?   
Cheers .. Jim

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:49:51 »

I could say a lot .But all I willl say is. How in these last few weks have you managed to keep your water from freezing?.

I haven't but when it is freezing I go down every day to unfreeze their water, check their combs for frostbite etc and give them an extra helping of grain or rolled oats. The only problem I've had is one egg that froze and cracked.

I'm just saying that you don't need to visit twice a day every day, also not had any trouble with egg eating so far or any broken eggs even though I've got a couple of heavy weight Cuckoo Marans in the flock. Maybe I've just been lucky as one of the birds sleeps in the nest box despite my best efforts.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:05:17 »
 could never keep my girls at the allotment, i absolutely love having them around all day, coming uop to the back door and wondering in the kitchen, having cuddles and generally keeping an eye on them

I would get so worried if i was away from them and not able to check on them when the was a unusual noise or squark.

To leave them for a number of days as someone has said on this would be unthinkable

It really  isnt the same having them on the allotment then it is havng them at home..

See what your landlady sas, its a world of difference having them at home,they become such close and loving pets!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal