Author Topic: Getting some ex bats  (Read 7446 times)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Getting some ex bats
« on: February 26, 2009, 18:53:46 »
We have a big bit of garden we no longer use and have desided to get 8 ex bats on the 14th March from the Dorchester branch  :D
We have a shed in there and hubby is converting and the area had raised beds on it which have been taken out and we bought some turf to go down and i will add some seed to that as i put it down tomorow.
Had great fun buying the food, fed and water containers and bedding today  ;D
Been a while since i had chooks but you dont forget.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Getting some ex bats
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 19:08:49 »
I haven't kept chickens since the '70's, if I loose the job this summer I might give it a go...  :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 20:54:57 »
so glad for you, fos, we wouldn't be without ours now, had them since august last year, 18 and only lost 1  :)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 22:43:02 »
I don't think your new turf is going to last long with 8 chooks running around, I think I would have opted for bark chips and a sand pit, but don't let me put you off (I'm just an old cynic), chooks are great fun and ex bats is the way to go  :)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:51 »
The turf will be fenced off for a while and we will keep an eye on it, they will run the main garden in the winter when the plants are asleep  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:11:00 »
There was I wondering a) how a bat could be ex and b) thinking that it's illegal to move them without a licence......

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 13:57:50 »
Good Luck with your ex bats. I used to have a pub with an orchard at the rear and had a flock of 16 ex bats who lasted and laid regularly for over 5 years. I remember with fondness, the first time that it rained and they all just stood there wondering where the water was coming from....I had to pick them up and take them inside....silly girls. My most spectacular ex-bat was a dear old girl who used to run up to me to be cuddled. One terrible day a fox came in broad daylight and ran off with her across the neighbouring field. I gave chase and gave the bugger both barrels of my 12 bore. The fox was stone dead and my old ex-bat popped out of his mouth and took off across the field towards me....would you believe it...she survived the fox and the 12 bore without a scratch....she continued laying for another 3 years.
Enjoy your girls.
Dinger

fishpond

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 14:23:09 »
Barn owl
You beat me to it ;D :)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 15:21:02 »
My most spectacular ex-bat was a dear old girl who used to run up to me to be cuddled. One terrible day a fox came in broad daylight and ran off with her across the neighbouring field. I gave chase and gave the bugger both barrels of my 12 bore. The fox was stone dead and my old ex-bat popped out of his mouth and took off across the field towards me....would you believe it...she survived the fox and the 12 bore without a scratch....she continued laying for another 3 years.
Enjoy your girls.
Dinger

Yes, one of my old hens used to like being picked up and cuddled!  I cannot remember whether this was one of the ex-bats or not, as mum went from ex bats to point of lay after a few years.  I laughed at the fox story, but as foxes normally kill at scene, I wonder whether you were lucky in that the fox was taking the hen back to its cubs to teach them to hunt and kill... only a thought... anyway, I have no fondness for foxes, as they killed too many of our livestock for fun... even biting their way through a strong shed, killing them all, and then leaving them there dead... pointless.  I love all animals except foxes, and I wouldn;'t mind them if they only killed what they needed to eat... mum left some dead hens for two weeks to see if the fox came back to eat them, he never did... just killed for fun...

mat

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 18:32:19 »
What are you two like  ;D
Im Knitting 'jumpers' just incase they are very bauld and get to cold (ok im sad but i can knit and i had some spare wool  :P )
Hubby has spent hours sorting out their new home today and has turned an unused piece of garden into chook heaven  :D just a few low perches to make for outside when they are fitter and some work to do on the shed which was already there and nearly empty, and its chooks away   ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 18:38:15 »
before, and after, hope yours are as good as ours  :)

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 20:38:45 »
I am going to collect fifteen ex bats from a rescue tomorrow :)
Been working all spare daylight hours to get tho coop and run finished, its all ready now and I am really looking forward to getting them.
My mother did have seven ex bats but she is now down to two mainly due to to people walking dogs off the lead on private property >:( :-X
The two that are left are real characters one even pecks at the kitchen door to be let in to pinch the cats food ;D

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 20:59:52 »
Hello x We are getting 4 ex batts tomorrow too, our 1st time with ckns, all ready for them now...Hubby has built them a lovely coop and a run. Nervous and excited at the same time. Wish us luck! xx

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 21:06:55 »
Well done Al for taking 15 xxx

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 21:13:43 »
Thanks LottieW
By the way I have sent you a pm
flowersofshona
For what its worth I agree with terrier turf probably won't last very long :-\
The area where my mothers spend most of their time used to be knee deep in couch grass and now there isn't one bit to be found and that only two hens :o

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 12:59:17 »
Aw manc they are looking really good hun !!!
I know the turf wont last but i wanted them to have grass to stand on for the first time :)
We are now having 10 !! hubby has made the run bigger Yayyyyy !!
The shed is almost finished now and the nest box is being finished off as i type  :)
They are going to be well spoilt girls for the rest of their lives.
Good luck to all who are collecting theres this weekend  :D

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 15:32:47 »
Picked up 4 girls today, but have been a quite nice farmer,as they are in quite good condition.I picked the most scrawny out lol. they are settled in their new coop, and even trying to climb around! so far so good! :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 16:14:24 »
congratulations, lottiewood, hope you get lots of fun from them, the eggs are a bonus  ;D

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 16:36:18 »
Well done all you folks for re homing some hens. Wish we could, but decided that our area is not secure enough for them. Please can you all post some photos of your girls? just love em

fishpond

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 16:55:10 »
The people that take on ex batsmust have hearts of gold. Well done to you all.
If anybody has time to take photos of them , It would be marvellous .

One day ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal