Author Topic: Greenhouse in a dark bit  (Read 1577 times)

zigzig

• Acre
Greenhouse in a dark bit
« on: February 22, 2009, 16:14:11 »
I have got a dark area in the garden, between the fence and garage. This guy who is moving is letting me have, for free his old green house if I take it down for him. This suits me fine. No where else for it no sunny bits she wants them for sitting and relaxing in.

It would go really well in the dark bit and I am sure that  I can grow things in it. We all dislike salad tomatoes, love the tinned ones in sauces but we wont want loads of tomatoes. Which I suppose greenhouses are for. It will be fine for my seeds to get them going for now.

What sort of things do you think would do well in the sort of protection the green house offers but it wont get much sun for later on in the year?

The space would be wasted if I do not put the greenhouse in it. It gets a bit of sun evenings.

Thanks

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Greenhouse in a dark bit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 16:17:21 »
Watching this with interest as my greenhouse is also quite shady, although it gets some sun in the morning, and I have managed to grow tomatoes in it.

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 17:50:14 »
Mine is tucked in the narrow space between the side of the house and the fence.  Its the only space I had for it.

It gets some sun as it rises from the east and then goes into shade for a bit of the day until the sun goes past the neighbours house. It then gets some sun in the afternoon.  I grew tomatoes in it last year no problem, was concerned they took a while to ripen, but I compared that with others who were growing tomatoes and theirs were rippening same time as mine, even those way down in the south of the country !! 

Seeds grew fine too !

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 17:50:54 »
most plants will actually be suitable!! most other folk have to shade their greenhouses in the summer!!
You couldn't make it up!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 18:22:37 »
I have a greenhouse in a shady area and the things I wanted to grow in it like peppers and chillis, melon and cucumber were rubbish last year. Yet the surplus plants I gave away to people with greenhouses in good sunny places did well.

I am going to use mine this year for 'clean' mixed salad crops which get dirty and plagued with bugs when left out in the open.

jo9919

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 21:19:03 »
most plants will actually be suitable!! most other folk have to shade their greenhouses in the summer!!

Yes, very true.

My greenhouse is actually quite shaded for most of the day, but still manages to reach high temperatures.

I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in there very well.

Jo.

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:22 »
If it's shady and damp, you'll be able to grow a range of mosses and moulds

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 20:18:03 »
QB that was a great attempt at humour the OH says Soya Milk. Guess that is a girly thing I do not understand.

It is actually very dry, higher than the rest of the garden but enclosed. I like ph idea of clean salad greens. That might work. Thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal