Author Topic: food for fruit  (Read 802 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
food for fruit
« on: February 23, 2009, 15:54:05 »
I have last year moved to another allotment which required a lot of tidying. I have 25% of the plot used for fruit but in a moment of madness decided to put a membrane down and approx. 75-100mm of bark on top. Now I have found myself in a bit of bother with how do I feed the tree's and bushes. It looks like I should scatter sulphate of potash but it seems I need a soluble type of food. Can there be such a thing to feed the fruit or what about comfry leaves left to rot down and dilute with water. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. thanks jock-edin

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: food for fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 16:04:36 »
Och eye the noo Jock!

I would use something like Blood fish and bone and scatter that over the ground around the plants as that will be absorbed into the ground fairly quickly also - yes I would make up those feeds also - but possibly a little later in the year!

If you give them too much food near the beginning they will grow lush leaves and possibly over exert themselves too early and run out of steam before producing fruit.  hope this is useful - it is possibly not the way some people would do it but it would be the way I would!

Old Bird

;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: food for fruit
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 16:07:13 »
If you have 4' of bark chippings down the sulphate of potash etc will be dissolved by the rain and washed down to the roots anyway...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal