Author Topic: Bread Help  (Read 5310 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Bread Help
« on: January 14, 2009, 19:04:00 »
I have been trying to make bread rolls/t-cakes but they always turn out doughy anyone know why?

Just so you know, I cook them at 220 in an electric fan assisted oven.

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Bread Help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 17:37:43 »
are you using a bread maker and following the instuctions to the letter with regard to the order in which you introduce the ingredients? or are you making it by hand? what sort of yeast are you using?
 i think that 220 in a fan assisted oven may be a bit hot maybe? try cooking a bit longer on a lower heat? just an idea.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 17:49:41 by sarah »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 17:52:12 »
doughy is lack of rising, isn't it ?

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 20:45:29 »
i'm with sarah on this, drop the temp,
200/210 for longer for the bread (it could be doughy because the inside isnt getting cooked before
the outside is overcooked.
for the teacakes i would drop the temp even further try 180

if neither of these work check you are not using to much yeast

then with respect i would try a different recipe

oh and you are using bread/strong flour not just plane arent you?
lbb

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 22:13:40 »
My good lady tells me that starting on 200 for first 10 mins and then turn it down to 180 till done gives a good result.
And as far as I am concerned it always tastes fine to me ;D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 23:10:17 »
Thanks guys....

To answer a few of the questions..

I'm doing it by hand..

Yes I do use strong flour not just plain.

I did wonder if heat was the problem so I'll have a go at  180 and see if that helps.

Thank you all for taking time to reply.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 17:24:11 »
We make all our bread, taking turns to do so. I find husband's bread rather doughy (damp inside? Claggy?) though I have managed never to say so. When it's my turn to make bread I put the loaves in at maximum (gas 8 in our case) for ten minutes, then at around gas 5 for another 40 minutes or so, changing the loaves around a bit so that they cook evenly. They are big fat loaves. If yours are small, they will need less time.

Then I take them out of their tins, turn up the heat, put them on baking tray upside down and give their bottoms a good crisping for a few minutes. I always coat my loaves in sesame and pumpkin seeds and I love the flavour of them slightly singed - and I reckon it also makes sure they are cooked through and not doughy.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 17:25:50 »
PS I have just remembered that a friend once told me his loaves were doughy and flat, and we worked out it was because he banged them into the oven, and they collapsed a bit. I put my loaves in extremely delicately!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 18:14:01 »
Agree with the advice on cooking times/temperatures, but....

....how long do you leave it to rise?

I do mine by hand - I mix & knead first thing in the morning, leave it sitting in the bowl till after lunch, knock it back & let it rise again until late afternoon, then shape it into loaves & when we've finished eating the evening meal (about 7.00) they go in the oven.

And fresh yeast is better than dried.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 21:18:55 »
I use a single rise unless I get interrupted and it accidentally gets two rises. The mixture goes into the 3 big tins within 20 minutes of starting, into the airing cupboard under a damp cloth for a few hours (maybe 5 or 6, depends on the warmth - but the bread has got to be nudging the cloth upwards) then straight into the hot oven.

I converted over the years from fresh yeast, to dried yeast in tins, to the yeast in little packets that you sprinkle into the flour. Wonderful stuff.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 23:22:44 »
I have a bread maker and am yet to get round to making teacakes and buns.  After reading this thread.......   my head hurts ??? ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 13:43:00 »
I tried them on a lower heat and they were perfect apart from one thing, they are too crusty for my kids.

Does anyone have a good recipe for soft rolls?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 17:39:09 »
i thnik if you put a bit of sugar in the mix it will make the crust softer. about a teaspoon or two.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 18:08:22 »
I tried them on a lower heat and they were perfect apart from one thing, they are too crusty for my kids.

we used to put milk powder in ours to soften the crusts

lbb

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 20:17:51 »

This is rather a long recipe, but I can recommend it for small bridge rolls:

BRIDGE ROLLS

Makes 36

680g (1½lb) unbleached white bread flour
15g (½oz) sea salt
15g (½oz) fresh yeast
400ml (14fl oz) cold milk
4 teaspoons sugar
60g (2oz) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 egg, beaten
extra flour for dusting
vegetable oil for greasing bowl
extra milk for brushing

2 large baking trays, lightly greased

Put the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Crumble the fresh yeast into a small bowl.  Cream it to a smooth liquid with 4 tablespoons of the milk and the sugar.

Make a well in the centre of the flour.  Add the yeast liquid to the well in the flour, then mix in the remaining milk and the beaten egg.  Work in the remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky, dough.

Turn out the dough on to a well floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes.  Put the dough back into the washed and lightly greased bowl, then turn the dough over so it is lightly coated with oil.  Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and leave the dough to rise at cool to normal room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.  The cold milk and slow rise gives the bread a find, light crumb.

Knock back the dough, then divide it into 36 equal sized pieces.  Shape each piece into an oval by first rolling into a cylinder, then squeezing with the edges of your hands to make a point at each end.  Put the rolls 4cm (1½ins) apart on the baking trays.  Cover with damp tea towels and leave the rolls to rise at cool to normal room temperature until doubled in size, 30-45 minutes.  Meanwhile preheat the oven to 230oC.

Lightly brush the rolls with milk (at room temperature, or even slightly warmed), then bake for 5 minutes.  Lower the oven temperature to 200oC and bake for 5-10 minutes longer until the rolls are browned and sound hollow when tapped underneath.

Remove the rolls from the baking trays and leave to cool on a wire rack, covered with a dry tea towel to keep the crust soft.

I'm afraid I cheat with the first mixing/kneading, insofar as I do it in a food mixer, but I can recommend them, and they freeze wonderfully for later use.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 20:28:10 »
P.S. Mick W, the following are also very good soft baps:

SCOTTISH BAP OR FLAT LOAF

1lb plain flour
1 level teaspoon salt
2oz butter
½oz fresh yeast
¼pint lukewarm water
¼pint lukewarm milk

1.   Sift flour and salt into bowl.  Rub in butter.

2.   Mix yeast with the water and milk.

3.   Add all at once to the dry ingredients.  Mix to a firm dough, adding a little extra flour if necessary, until dough leaves sides of bowl clean.

4.   Turn our on to a lightly floured board.  Knead 10 minutes (or until smooth and elastic.

5.   Cover and leave to rise until dough doubles in size.

6.   Turn out on to a floured board.  Knead lightly.  Divide dough into 10 equal pieces.  Roll each into ½inch thick ovals.

7.   Transfer to a lightly buttered and floured baking tray.  Dredge with flour.

8.   Cover and leave to rise until double in size.

9.   Bake just above centre of a fairly hot oven (200oC) for 15-20 minutes.  The baps should sound hollow when tapped on the base.  Cool on a wire rack, covered with a dry teatowel.

I think the secret for soft rolls is, when cooling on a wire rack, to cover with a dry teatowel.

In both cases I use the food mixer for the initial mixing/kneading.

Both freeze well, so you can use as many cobs/baps as you need at any time.

valmarg

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 14:21:26 »
Valmarg, I just tried the second of your two Recipes and have to say its perfect.  :)

Thank you so much.

les65

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 14:28:52 »

use the same recipe but when they have come out of the oven place a clean damp tea towel over them over night in the morning they will be lovely and soft

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 14:44:37 »

use the same recipe but when they have come out of the oven place a clean damp tea towel over them over night in the morning they will be lovely and soft

No need if you follow Valmarg's recipe.

I'm now trying the same recipe for Wholemeal rolls too.

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 09:15:41 »
In our family half like crusty rolls and half soft rolls.
 I put half the rolls to one  side and use the same trick as les65 and now everyone is happy.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal