Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 5345 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Remembrance Day
« on: November 08, 2008, 21:41:26 »
The Eleventh Day of the Eleventh Month comes round again.  Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday when we remember all those who have given their lives for their Country.   Wear your REd Poppy with pride.  I will not be able to attend the Remembrance Day Service at Church this year because I am not well but shall certainly make an effort to attend the Service at the WAr Memorial where 3 of my relatives in WW1 and WW2 are remembered. 

betula

• Hectare
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 21:51:07 »
We wear our poppies with pride carol.

My dad was in the royal warwickshires.I am very proud of his contribution to defending our country. :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 21:53:46 »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:50 »
RESPECT

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:56:07 »
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:41:16 »
Wonderful to see the vets and associates marching down whitehall.

I feel so proud of them .

I honour them all.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:18:45 »
Just watched it on the telly, proper hymns, proper people, proper respect.

At least this is one event that the wooly minded liberals and the pc police would not dare to have
banned, in case it upset Johnny Foreigner.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:45 »
Speaking as a woolly minded liberal, internationalist and jingoism-hater (and proud of it), I am  deeply moved by Remembrance Day too. The words "They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old, age shall not weary them nor the years condemn..." are incredibly powerful. Our church service on Sunday was led, very thoughtfully, by teenagers who had never experienced war and older people who had, and it was one of the best ever. We had a display of photos of war zones (Afghanistan, Iraq, Congo) by Mike Thompson, the Radio 4 Today programme reporter. On this day I particularly remember a very talented great uncle, a family man in his late 40s, who joined up in 1916 and died after being run over by a gun carriage at the battle of the Somme. A brilliant painting by him is on the wall above my desk. His wife subsequently supported the family by playing sax in Ivy Benson's band.
Keep Calm and Carry On

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:07:31 »
I think the particular woolly minded liberals ACE is referring to are the kind of people that introduce Winterfest instead of Christmas... which really annoyed my Muslim friends too.

It was very moving to watch. The cannon here went off a couple of minutes early, which was a bit odd.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:08 »
I'd like to remember my uncle, died in the first, my dad, dad in law, both in the second and affected all of their lives, plus my mum in law who was in the 'land army'..thanks to them all  :)

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:15:25 »
I think the particular woolly minded liberals ACE is referring to are the kind of people that introduce Winterfest instead of Christmas... which really annoyed my Muslim friends too.
I'm with you on that!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 14:12:56 »
Wasn't it wonderful to see those old gentlemen laying wreaths at the cenotaph on TV news today!  The eldest 112, next eldest 110 and the youngster of 108.  It bought a lump to my throat.

I am trying to find out where my Nan's brother is buried.  I have established from records that he died on 21st April 1917, probably in France as there is no Death Certificate shown on the 1837 Find my Past on-line website though I found him on there under the war deaths.  He was with the King's Royal Rifle Corps.  Looks as though I may need to visit Kew sometime to look up his records. 

My Nan always placed a poppy on his picture which was hung up in her lounge.

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 15:08:40 »
Pauline, do you subscribe to the National Archives Newsletter? There are links to some podcasts about diaries and documents from the First World War and information about other records held at Kew.  You may be able to find what you want online:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/213.htm

I'm looking forward to reading the book just published by one of the men who took part in the ceremony - Harry Patch (110)
Keep Calm and Carry On

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 19:46:48 »

I think you'll find Ollie that it was the Birmingham Council that changed Christmas to winterval quite a few years ago.  It was soon told that it was 'not on', and had to change back.  Now they, and all their ethnic communities celebrate Christmas, as well as Diwali, and any other festivals. (any excuse for a party). ;D ;D

Salisbury is the latest idiot council, banning such expressions as 'singing from the same hymn sheet' for fear of offending atheists.  Well this atheist uses that expression, and is not offended.

There must be a lot of pen pushers in council offices, staring out of the window, thinking 'what daft idea can I come up with next'. >:( >:( >:(

valmarg
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 19:52:53 by valmarg »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 19:52:17 »

I think you'll find Ollie that it was the Birmingham Council that changed Christmas to winterval quite a few years ago.  It was soon told that it was 'not on', and had to change back.  Now they, and all their ethnic communities celebrate Christmas, as well as Diwali, and any other festivals. (any excuse for a party). ;D ;D

Salisbury if the latest idiot council, banning such expressions as 'singing from the same hymn sheet' for fear of offending atheists.  Well this atheist uses that expression, and is not offended.

There must be a lot of pen pushers in council offices, staring out of the window, thinking 'what daft idea can I come up with next'. >:( >:( >:(

valmarg

Ah yes, I remember now. It was Brum.

Someone from the Secular Society on the radio was saying much the same thing as you about hymn sheets... I prefer "Singing from the same little red book". I do hate it when people refer to something as being "the bible" when it is in fact the rulebook.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 19:59:03 »
Little red book Ollie, are you a maoist?

valmarg

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 20:01:22 »
Someone I interviewed for a job a few years ago had been working for one of the London borough councils (Newham I think) and was desperate to get away.  He had to spend much of his time thinking up politically correct alternatives to commonly used terms  - e.g. a "gender neutral" alternative for "manhole cover".  ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 20:03:52 »
Hopalong, manhole cover is something you should NEVER EVER Google. ;D ;D

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 20:04:22 »
Little red book Ollie, are you a maoist?

valmarg

Only as much as you're an Evangelical Christian!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 20:08:16 »
You have totally lost me Ollie.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal