Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 5362 times)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 20:19:43 »
To get back to the more serious side of today's remembrance, tonight at 9.00p.m. Rolf Harris will tell the story of his dad and uncle during WW1.  I've listened to him on BBC radio WM with Ed Doolan.  It's a very moving story.

There have been quite a few times today I've 'welled up'.

When you see those acres and acres of white crosses/headstones it really brings back the futility of WW1.

valmarg

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 00:20:28 »
Tsk, even a thread paying respects to rememberance has to deviate onto other subjects?  How difficult could it have been ......?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:01 »
Tsk, even a thread paying respects to rememberance has to deviate onto other subjects?  How difficult could it have been ......?

You should know us by now, we don't really do threads in the shed, I suppose it's more like a conversation.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:45 »

Lighten up! I don't see anyone on this thread being disrespectful to the event, or even running the risk of doing so... nothing wrong with having a chat about related things.

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 08:55:44 »
Wasn't it wonderful to see those old gentlemen laying wreaths at the cenotaph on TV news today!  The eldest 112, next eldest 110 and the youngster of 108.  It bought a lump to my throat.

I am trying to find out where my Nan's brother is buried.  I have established from records that he died on 21st April 1917, probably in France as there is no Death Certificate shown on the 1837 Find my Past on-line website though I found him on there under the war deaths.  He was with the King's Royal Rifle Corps.  Looks as though I may need to visit Kew sometime to look up his records. 

My Nan always placed a poppy on his picture which was hung up in her lounge.

Pauline, have you tried the commonwealth war graves commission website? They should have the records on their database. I looked up my great grandfather last year and there was lots of info, even a photo of the cemetery in France.

Sally

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:05 »
Just what i was going to say Sally fortunately i read all the way through before posting.

My Dad a veteran of ww2 (8th Army NZ engineers 1939-1944) asked me to never buy a poppy, I had to break this because both my boys were in beavers, cubs and scouts. His two brother's also were involved one was in the Pacific not wounded but caught TB because of the living conditions and with left with  a 1/3 of one lung and I/4 of the other  he was supposed to live long but died in January 1987 he was disabled and unable to work but he lived on a pittance and was given no help despite requests to the charity that benefits from the sale of poppies in NZ (i realise it may be different in this country). My father also said that to him the poppy was a symbol of the men (the enemy) that he was ordered to kill in cold blood who had surrendered and were waving white flags. "Take no prisoners tonight boys" was the order he was always distressed to hear.

My father last saw his other brother, the one he was closest to all his life in Bari, Italy. he was a medic and working at the hospital my father had been wounded at the Battle of Sangro and was waiting to be shipped home. His ship was leaving the harbour on 24th Dec 1943 when the hospital was bombed along with the port. His brother was killed trying to shift patients...soldiers and civilians to safety.

My Grandmother's little brother was killed aged 19 in the battle of the Somme.....no grave. Her Aunt was a nurse at a field hospital she was awarded two Royal red crosses.

There are others but I don't know their details yet.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 11:26:07 »
last night seeing Rolf Harris visit that school in France that was kind of dedicated to Australia and Australians was quite something

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 13:47:59 »
Found one of my uncle's stones actually built into the bridge at Ypres. Still got a G'father and two other uncles to find. I was scanning the bridge with a video cam and suddenly his name showed up. Very hair-raising.
 The Last Post is still played every night under the bridge.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 17:49:40 »
Thank you to everyone that has given me help either on this thread or via a personal message, regarding finding out details of my great uncle.

Thanks to your help I now know where he was killed and where he was buried.  I will visit his grave in September when we hope to be passing through Picardy. 

Valmarg, Salisbury is my local council and I haven't heard any reference to "singing from the same hymnbook".

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 18:04:49 by Paulines7 »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 19:38:31 »
Valmarg, Salisbury is my local council and I haven't heard any reference to "singing from the same hymnbook".

Well, I was only quoting the national press that 'singing from the same hymnsheet' could offend atheists.

In these days of PC gone mad, its difficult to know what to believe and what not to believe.

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 19:50:55 »

Well, I was only quoting the national press that 'singing from the same hymnsheet' could offend atheists.

In these days of PC gone mad, its difficult to know what to believe and what not to believe.

valmarg

I don't believe you!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 19:58:52 »

valmarg

I don't believe you!

Well ducky, or to use the local expression, shug, I'm not overly bothered.  What's not to believe?  I've never been nasty to you, but I'll give it my best shot now.  Is your latest avatar the old CND logo,' Y fronts prevent fallout.' ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 20:13:12 »
You can't hurt me, because you only hurt yourself in doing so...

It's a banksy that avatar, worth a fortune dontchaknow!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 20:30:05 »
I don't know but this thread was started by me about Remembrance Day.  That day is now passed and we will all continue to remember them that lsot their lives in all the wars.   

I am getting sick and tired of all the nastiness going on in A4A.  Snipe here, snipe there and so on.  I have been with this site for a good few years now  5 I think and I am now thinking of giving up altogether.  I gave up posting photographs, I gave up in the Chat Room.  So, like Jeannine I think I will be bowing out soon.  It is a shame, in the early days A4A was a great site but there is too much snide comments and one upmanship etc.  I shant be missed I am sure so don't know why I have bothered to type this but just to let you know that I want you all to Shut up on this thread and leave it the way it was started REMEMBRANCE DAY.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 20:33:32 »
I don't know but this thread was started by me about Remembrance Day.  That day is now passed and we will all continue to remember them that lsot their lives in all the wars.   

I am getting sick and tired of all the nastiness going on in A4A.  Snipe here, snipe there and so on.  I have been with this site for a good few years now  5 I think and I am now thinking of giving up altogether.  I gave up posting photographs, I gave up in the Chat Room.  So, like Jeannine I think I will be bowing out soon.  It is a shame, in the early days A4A was a great site but there is too much snide comments and one upmanship etc.  I shant be missed I am sure so don't know why I have bothered to type this but just to let you know that I want you all to Shut up on this thread and leave it the way it was started REMEMBRANCE DAY.

No sniping with me & val, Carol - sorry if any offense is caused but we're friends having a conversation. Absolutely nothing on here has been disrespectful to any of the commemorations or to you. So, no offence intended & sorry if it's been caused...

Edited to clarify what the odd cretin can't understand!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 21:16:08 by OllieC »

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 20:46:36 »
Why don't you ^^ quit telling people to chill out when they express a view which disagrees with your own?  Carol is right, this thread was started for rememberance respects and whilst people do sometimes wander off topic, it wouldn't have been hard to try not to in this instance would it?  You answered my post earlier and said you had stayed somewhat on topic which was complete rubbish.  I don't want to disrespect Carol's original message by continuing any kind of dispute so I shant post in here again but why don't you try and listen to what people are politely trying to say instead of trying to have the last word every time?  Here's an idea - if you want to discuss with other members about a PC country/world gone mad - start a thread about it!!

And to Carol, please, please don't think about leaving :(

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 20:49:58 »
you need to chill out too... wasn't me that started to talk about a world gone mad. Why is everyone being so uptight?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 21:18:34 »
Carol, thank you for starting this thread, hope you don't leave  :-\

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 21:34:25 »

Please Sam Louise,

Can you stop the cat peddling on the toilet roll,  have to stick my thumb on it to read your post !!

--  sorry what I wanted to say was,  I am beginning to want to post less and less ---   not
   because I am '  a girlie ',  but some threads seem to go AWOL , which is a shame, especially
   when you want to be in tune with the moment expressed,  11. 11. 08, is a very special day,
   - for me and thousand of others  , and should be treated with respect .

Any alternative ' thoughts ' could perhaps go onto another topic ?

Yes, I know I sound sanctimonious  but I'm old and am allowed !!   ;)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 21:37:37 »
Carol, I sincerely hope you don't leave.

I know Ollie and I have a few controversial (awkward) posts, but we have no nasty intent.  We should post on the PM site, but there's not enough room. ;D

Believe us when we say we welcome you, and would hate to think that we had been responsible for your leaving the site.

Please hang on in there.  Pleese ;D ;D

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal