Author Topic: RSI  (Read 4984 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
RSI
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:54:34 »
Yup I got it.............................from KNITTING!!!!

Ive knitted for years and suddenly, got so much pain in my wrist I now have to rest it. So there goes all hopes (unless it heals quickly) of getting GD's birthday prezzie done before the 28th of Nov. :(

So that has made me pretty grumpy....................... >:(

Anyone else had RSI and how long did it take to get over it?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: RSI
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 13:10:24 »
Apparently its common on the isie of wight. ::)

star

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 13:18:56 »
Why have I got it then??

Or are there a lot of knits on the IOW ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 13:21:07 »
 ;D ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:04:09 »
RSI is usually just an injury if you are claiming compensation. How come after all those years knitting has it come to light?. After all it usually manifests itself after after a few days typing on the computor. But it did not seem to happen  for the first 100 or so years on the typewriter.

You have just twisted your wrist.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 13:02:08 »
i have had it and it was awful i used a wrist splint i found if i wore the splint over night the wrist was better during the day, you can wear the splint and do things though it does inhibit you a bit, they are called futura splints i think (we issue them at work but after a week off my brain isnt functioning) a and e department you may also find that anti inflammatories like ibuprofen help too.
the technical name is tenosynovitis, inflammation of the tendon cover
touch wood mine cleared up and i get very rare flare ups

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 13:36:23 »
it's not carpal tunnel is it, my sisiter has developed it from working at a computer at work..or I did both my wrists picking people up while caring for them, they both flare up if I do too much..whatever it is, the splints do help ..my physio gave me some, I also have fingerless  glove-type things, also from the physio as arthritis is affecting all my finger joints
just take care,  :)

star

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 16:21:06 »
ACE........I would have agreed with you that this wouldnt develop after years of doing the same thing,But its the first time I have used very large needles on a large project. So the angle of your hands are different. Its certainly not the same pain as when I have sprained a wrist ;)

Debster......It is worth me getting a splint, anything to help get over it. Im sure the OH has some old wood in the garage ;D.

Manics.........No, its not carpel tunnel, its in the wrong place. It starts at the base of the thumb and goes down the arm and mostly when I use a movement similar to holding a needle ;)

Hopefully it will clear up soon, got soooo much to do :-\ :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 16:26:07 »
the splint i have looks like this picture and it really helps.
i developed RSI after typing for years so from doing the same thing regularly it did feel at times as though i had sprained it but i hadnt. try your doctors/practice nurse or WIC or even a and e and good luck its a horrible thing

star

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 16:28:33 »
Thanks for the pic Debs, Im sure I have seen them before, that seems just the ticket.

Cheers Hun x

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 16:39:13 »
very welcome, i have one somewhere not sure which hand which hand is dodgy for you if i find it i see which side it is pretty sure its my left as i say dont get any trouble anymore however would also be a good idea to get it checked with your gp etc

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 16:50:48 »
I used to love a bit of knitting but gave up about 15 years back as It brought on rhumatic type pains in my fingers, but such a shame you have to give up something that you enjoy star x

star

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 17:18:51 »
Debs, it is my left as well, thank goodness. I could not manage if it was the right one. Are you offering that I may borrow it? That would be sterling....if I am not being too presumptuous. Yes the doc would be a good idea  ;)

Oh Honeybee, Ive no intention of giving up unless I really cant carry on. I will just use normal sized needles in future :D.
Its a shame you had to give it up, have you tried crochet? That may be gentler on your hands.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 18:39:39 »
My wife's got it.
Constant waggin' her finger at me!
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 18:48:18 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 19:42:48 »
When my children were young and had chicken pox and whooping cough so I couldn't go out for weeks I made a rug.  As I was doing the same movement for several days, weeks by the time I had finished the rug I couldn't move my shoulder or right hand.  I also got a lump come up under my arm/right breast but luckily it was just doing the same movement too many times.  When the rug was finished and the children recovered I got better.  I have had periods of intensive knitting and I think the answer is 'little and often'.  I have typed for over 60 years, sometimes for long periods, but must admit to having cigarette breaks/coffee breaks when working and toilet, make up/ chat breaks.  I did get a frozen shoulder from tennis, but had to have an injection from the doctor for that, so painful, couldn't wash, sleep or get dressed. I suppose what I want to say is vary what you do and do not keep repeating the same action as our bodies can't cope with it.  Best of luck and if it doesn't get better see the doctor.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 19:44:52 »
ok star i have just found it and yes it is the left hand but i wont lend it yer you can keep it cos if i ever need one again i can get one at work. if you pm you address i will get it posted to you but will probably be tues before i can post it out is that ok?
debs

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 20:24:19 »
Hi, Star, sorry to hear about your RSI. I know someone who got it from knitting (she had been doing a lot of aran work). I've also had it myself, (both from PC work and from gardening - in this case potting on plants!)but have been ok for some years now, except for the odd flare up. things that helped me - checking my posture when I was sitting at a task and getting up regularly to stretch and move around, alternating tasks that use different methods and need different working positions. You could have some neck damage from sitting at the knitting. Apparently the tendons run all the way down from the neck down the arms and into the hands, so if something is not right in the neck or shoulder, this can manifest itself with pain in the hands!  (I've simplified it, but you get the drift!)Setting a timer to see how long I could type before it started to hurt, then stopping straight away, and in future typing for 10 minutes less than that time helped too I still use a timer if I am doing something repetitive, to remind me to stop and take a break. Exercises from my physiotherapist were the best thing ever, although it can take some weeks or even months in some cases to have a real effect, and its important to do the exercises every day. A physio should also be able to give suggestions about improving your position when you knit, if you ask him / her. When it first started, my gp recommended 3x 200 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day for 6 weeks, to get the inflamation down. I know this sounds a lot, but it did work for me, but please check with your gp that its safe for you to do this before trying! Once RSI has happened, you may be more vulnerable in future, so you may have to be just that little more aware when doing repetitive things, but there's no reason why it shouldnt get better, especially as you've caught it early. Good luck!
Kitty Katt

star

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 20:49:56 »
ok star i have just found it and yes it is the left hand but i wont lend it yer you can keep it cos if i ever need one again i can get one at work. if you pm you address i will get it posted to you but will probably be tues before i can post it out is that ok?
debs

Debs.........thank you very much have pm'd you x

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 20:57:47 »
no pm received   :( ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal