Author Topic: RSI  (Read 4996 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: RSI
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 20:59:02 »
Should have it now :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 21:01:05 »
got it now and replied  ;D

star

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 21:15:38 »
Deb................ ;)

Kitty kat..........Its reasuring to know Im not the only nit........erm, knit to get it this way :D.

Yes I know muscle pain can originate somewhere other than where it presents itself, I didnt realise this did the same. So thanks ;) It must be time to call on DD for a massage :D

I love the idea of setting a timer, I shall do that :D

As it happens I am waiting to see the physio for my psychiatric nerve...........another little job for him/her ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 21:26:19 »
Hope you're feeling better soon Star.  I had RSI when I worked for a Community Development Charity.  I used to publish the newspaper and have to turn over reams of paper constantly, then stuff envelopes, all after typing the d**n thing.  I wore one of those splints and it seemed to do the trick because it makes you not do the things you shouldn't be doing!  Also Ibuprofen works.  Touch wood, not had it for a few years.  I also use a wheatie on it if I do get a problem with it.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 21:38:05 »
Star are you sure youre seeing someone about your psychiatric nerve not your sciatic?? ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 21:45:33 »
Star are you sure youre seeing someone about your psychiatric nerve not your sciatic?? ;D

nah, I reckon she got it right the first time ;D

star

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:19 »
 ;D ;D :P

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 13:44:37 »
I have RSI in my shoulder, the Doc says it's due to me using a mouse for around 8 hours a day. I also get it in my wrists from typing. I found that I had to change what I'm doing on a regular basis. Several things that helped for me were taking up embourdery and latch hooking. They have very different movements and it helped release the muscles. My hubby also bought me a heat blanket to help with the pain. It's only a foot square but has a long lead and I can curl up in the sofa with it wrapped around the painful bits.

The last thing that helped was when I started taking glucosamene (sp). I started taking it for my rhumatoid arthritis but it also eased the RSI. d**n good stuff and I don't need anywhere near as many pain killers now either.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 13:50:52 »
Where do you get your Glucosomine from Solorn? I have tried some but it didnt seem to help (arthritis). I took the ones I got for 3 months to give it a fair shot. I understand there a few different types and some are better than others :)

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 14:13:00 »
I get mine from Holland and Barratt. they do several different types but I get the Glucosamene Sulphate with fish oils, not always available but worth getting. With some people you just need a slightly higher dosage. I also found that comfrey balm helps if you rub it in. It's supposed to be used for bruising but it helps me a lot. I make my own or it would cost me a fortune!

star

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 14:37:25 »
Thanks hun, I will keep my eye open for it :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 14:38:51 »
Well I must be very lucky. I have not got RSI. My shoulder was not damaged by the repitition of swinging a pickaxe for nearly 30 years. My aching wrists and arthritic hands were not caused by the repeatedly banging a fork or spade into hard stony ground for even longer. My knees that are so bad my doctor said I should pack up work were not damaged by the repetition of pushing against a shovel handle for half a life time.

I am so lucky that none of these injuries are associated with RSI, they are just plain old wear and tear and do not come under any compensation scheme. In fact the knee joints don't even need replacing for a few years yet as I am still young enough to put up with the pain.

All my own fault as I wanted to work out in the open air instead of in a dangerous  office where I could have ripped a nail using a paper clip. Then sent home until I felt I could return to work, after counselling.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 14:46:52 »
 ;D ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 14:51:34 »
Also worth a try is rosehip capsules.  They can apparently reverse - to a degree - the effects of arthritis.  I bought some for both my wrists that were stiff and sore in the mornings = took them for a couple of weeks - and - touching wood - haven't had a recurrance of the problem!

Check it out on the internet - but I heard about it from an article in The Daily Mail!

Old Bird

;D

star

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 14:53:42 »
Well I must be very lucky. I have not got RSI. My shoulder was not damaged by the repitition of swinging a pickaxe for nearly 30 years. My aching wrists and arthritic hands were not caused by the repeatedly banging a fork or spade into hard stony ground for even longer. My knees that are so bad my doctor said I should pack up work were not damaged by the repetition of pushing against a shovel handle for half a life time.

I am so lucky that none of these injuries are associated with RSI, they are just plain old wear and tear and do not come under any compensation scheme. In fact the knee joints don't even need replacing for a few years yet as I am still young enough to put up with the pain.

All my own fault as I wanted to work out in the open air instead of in a dangerous  office where I could have ripped a nail using a paper clip. Then sent home until I felt I could return to work, after counselling.

;D

Counseling.....................of course, now why didn't I think of that ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 14:55:36 by star »

star

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 14:57:38 »
Also worth a try is rosehip capsules.  They can apparently reverse - to a degree - the effects of arthritis.  I bought some for both my wrists that were stiff and sore in the mornings = took them for a couple of weeks - and - touching wood - haven't had a recurrance of the problem!

Check it out on the internet - but I heard about it from an article in The Daily Mail!

Old Bird

;D

Its amazing how many things can help, thanks OB. Its always great to have an arsenal of things to try ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 15:05:56 »
ACE, RSI is repetitive strain injury.  It is quite obvious, if you do the same action for too long it affects you.  If it starts hurting stop.  I play a lot of tennis, have played since 11, now 65.  I felt my right shoulder whilst serving but carried on the finish the set/game.  Next day I could not move it or get dressed, etc. etc.  Could not sleep because of the pain.  Had been previously been to an ostopath who I think made it worse.  I worked as a typist/word processing operator for 50 years but always had breaks, ie filing, answering the phone.  If you knit all day or type all day, one needs breaks.  My son got 'water on the knee' when he was a shop fitter, kneeling all day without knee pads.  I am sure people do not want compensation just a bit of sympathy for what can be very painful.  Little and often is the answer and even if digging the allotment have plenty of breaks, for chatting or dead heading so you do a different action.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 15:21:18 »
Now I know where I went wrong.

BOSS. Have you finished that job yet

ME . No I felt a pain coming on so I left it to someone else

BOSS. Get your cards

WIFE AND FAMILY   Why are we being evicted?

Perhaps things are different on your planet.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 15:31:17 »
ACE seems to be convinced that as soon as we mention the magic phrase 'RSI', we desk-workers get sent home sick, or given hefty compensation. Uh?!
Nope... we get damaged joints, and deal with it, just like everyone here has been describing. Just because it's from a mouse and not a pickaxe doesn't make it non-existent!

Solorn: mouses are terrible things for it. I got RSI in my hand, wrist, arm and shoulder from too much mousing. Got myself a Kensington ball mouse, and now mouse left-handed, and it is *fantastic*! (Didn't take long at all to get used to it.) You can allocate various tasks (e.g. page up, page down, return, etc) to the 4 buttons on the mouse which saves effort too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Expert-Mouse-Trackball-compatible/dp/B00009KH63/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226330932&sr=8-1

It might seem pricey but it's well worth it if you work at a computer all day.

Also, I guess the muscles and joints get less elastic and less resistant to strain as you get older. Recently I found that intensive use of secateurs can leave my hands painful and stiff for weeks after. So I went and got myself a pair of ratchet secateurs, and the problem almost vanished - though I'm also more careful to pace myself now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-34478-RATCHET-ACTION-SECATEUR/dp/B00023T8YE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1226330876&sr=1-2

Old Ned

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 17:00:51 »
i woulda shot you years ago ACE and put yer out of yer misery

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal