Author Topic: Ross and Brand  (Read 13485 times)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Ross and Brand
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2008, 22:13:42 »
I wonder what Ross and Brand's contribution to 'Children In Need' will be ?
I for one couldn't give a d**n, as my contribution to children in need will not be so much as a brass farthing.

Starting on Monday 10th November the auction for things that only money can buy will begin on Radio 2.

There will be items on the auction that I would love to buy, but when the people that manage to buy them pay three times OH's  pension it sickens me.

We are pensioners, our annual income is not very much, but the bit that irritates me about the auction is that for 51 weeks of the year we rub along and are quite happy with our lot.  Then along comes the auction that only money can buy, and it makes me dissatisfied with my lot,  When somebody pays £35,000 for something, ie 3 x OH's pension, I do get a bit irritated.

valmarg

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2008, 22:17:49 »
No I didn't hear it, have never thought much of either of them. However when I saw/heard part which has been reported in the news I still think I have a right to voice an opinion (not that I have!!)
I have signed petitions on this forum that members have posted. In some cases I hadn't heard of the cause but having it pointed out to me gave me the right to act as I thought fit.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2008, 22:20:40 »
I know exactly what you mean valmarg.

At least the money is going to a good cause.

You know what,I heard yesterday my friend has about 12 months to live.

I am rich.I have my loving ,wonderful husband.Worth all the money in the world to me.It kind of put things in perspective. :)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2008, 10:40:46 »
Suppressed my prejudices and distaste for Brand today and read his sports column in the Guardian. Have to say that it's brilliant.  Here's the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/nov/01/russell-brand

Keep Calm and Carry On

Old Neddy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2008, 16:31:48 »
His enduring love for Harry Redknapp says it all about him

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2008, 17:38:45 »
Wasn't is nice to be able to listen to Radio 2 between 10.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. today. ;D  Long may it continue, beyond 12 weeks.

valmarg

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2008, 20:55:48 »
I've followed developments with some interest. There have been many views expressed regarding Jonathan Ross: whether he is a national treasure or a talentless buffoon, whether he is worth his salary or not, whether his actions were an outrage or a prank that went wrong. These are matters of opinion.

Here's a matter of fact - he broke the law.

And by not firing him, both the BBC Board and the BBC Trust have tacitly condoned that.

I am not a reader of the tabloid press, nor am I jumping on any hysterical bandwagon. I actually heard the show as it was broadcast that night.  Within seconds of that segment starting I was aware that what I was hearing was a criminal offence being committed.
What did I do? I reported it. Why did I do it? Surely if I listened to the show I should have known what to expect? No, I did not expect to be a witness to a criminal act which, had I committed it, would have most likely have led to a prosecution and would certainly have cost me my job.

I considered withholding my licence fee in protest but this is also against the law. The BBC has effectively given me a choice - either fund a crime or commit one. How did licence payers come to be held in such contempt?

I'm reminded that the BBC's big flagship charity bash is coming up soon.
The fact is that making obscene or threatening phone calls is becoming an epidemic among children as a way of intimidating other kids - you've heard of cyber-bullying haven't you? - and is in exactly the same vein as 'happy-slapping'. Some young people's lives are utterly shattered by this. How could the BBC show such double standards by referring to what was done as a prank?

It wasn't funny, it wasn't a prank. It was criminal. Simple.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2008, 21:00:27 »
So agree! So what are we doing?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2008, 21:08:44 »
Wasn't is nice to be able to listen to Radio 2 between 10.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. today. ;D  Long may it continue, beyond 12 weeks.

valmarg

I must admit I was not happy when I heard Chris Evans was going to do drive time.

I did not think he was a good choice.

Have changed my mind now,really enjoy his programmes.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2008, 21:31:09 »
Amazin,
I read your comments with interest on this thread.
Hang on though - what's electric soup?  ;D
Come on folks, what about the probs. in the Congo?
Surely the two -  Brand & Wossy are lightweights?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2008, 21:41:09 »
who will be replacing wossy on a saturday? cant say i am overly keen on the chap. i agree about the chris evans on drive time i dont mind him but i prefered old johnny walker. hi im new by the way to fourum and to lotties! ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2008, 21:53:09 »
Surely the two -  Brand & Wossy are lightweights?

By lightweights, do you mean petty criminals?

I do understand your point though, Telboy. Perhaps the events in the Congo merit their own thread, as do many of the other important issues that were knocked off the front pages by this.

However, that's not to say this issue is as trivial as might appear at first glance. It's at least opened up the matter of public funding and its uses in a much bigger way than has perhaps has happened before.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 21:56:18 by Amazin »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2008, 22:09:14 »
Amazin,
True, very true!!!!!!!
But it's trivial sh*t compared with what is happening elsewhere in our wonderful grief stricken world? Innit?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2008, 23:42:05 »
who will be replacing wossy on a saturday? cant say i am overly keen on the chap. i agree about the chris evans on drive time i dont mind him but i prefered old johnny walker. hi im new by the way to fourum and to lotties! ;D

Welcome to the forum Simmo116.  You will see that we are a lively lot on here.   ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2008, 23:55:28 »
it's trivial sh*t compared with what is happening elsewhere in our wonderful grief stricken world? Innit?
Like the bank manager used to say in the days when we had bank managers and no big bonuses: look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 18:36:24 »
Well, the one person who will have really appreciated this histeria is 'the prince of darkness' mandy.  Its shifted him off the front page of the papers.  His 'bad news' is being well and truly buried.
valmarg

valmargell, it was the self righteous right that put Ross and Brand on the front page - probably to push Osbourne's underhand dealings (not Ozzy btw) off.

I can always rely on you RC to take the bait. ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 18:46:13 »
I wouldn't worry too much. The chances of Lord Voldemort avoiding any more scandal are probably close to zero. Maybe the next one will be a biggie- Gay Sex Outrage with Roman Abramovitch, the entire Chelsea Football Team, and a Minor Member of the Royal Family

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 18:54:08 »
Thank you RT!! I really relish the image of Mandy as Lord Voldemort - just seems to fit! ;D :P

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 19:07:41 »
it doesn't have quite the right ring when you give him is full title - Lord Voldemort of Hartlepool (and Foy). maybe (and Malfoy) sounds better  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 20:41:27 »
Well, the one person who will have really appreciated this histeria is 'the prince of darkness' mandy.  Its shifted him off the front page of the papers.  His 'bad news' is being well and truly buried.
valmarg

valmargell, it was the self righteous right that put Ross and Brand on the front page - probably to push Osbourne's underhand dealings (not Ozzy btw) off.

I can always rely on you RC to take the bait. ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

Does that make you a troll then? :-\
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal