Author Topic: Retro Sweets  (Read 1667 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Retro Sweets
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:06:14 »
Awww these pictures bring back memories.

Licorice Comfits (or Lamb's Tails, I knew them).
I would chew off the outside bits (yummy) and spit out the inside (yuk).

Where I grew up in Cornwall in a tiny hamlet, we had no shop. On the bus route to infants school (change bus at the market roundabout  ;D) no shop insight either. So sweets were are real treat when you got them. You tried to make them last and last  :D

At secondary school that was different, it was in the town. We had History on wednesday afternoons. The History teacher and the headmistress always went to the pub for lunch and came back stinking of whisky. Our cue to get out the American hard gums....watch out if she asked you a question  ::)...You couldn't answer her as your back teeth were glued shut from the sweets.  ;D  ;D  ;D So you just smiled, and she would smile back.  ;D  ;D  ;D

http://rubyroom.aol.co.uk/2008/08/14/retro-sweets/
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Retro Sweets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 16:22:04 »
they remind me of when I worked in the sweet shop, I was 12 and had a part time job  ;D
on the way back from school, I used to get stickylice and sweet tobacco, cherry lips and floral gums..wonder how I've still got all my own teeth  ??? ;D

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:56:23 »
Fry`s Five boys chocolate, Flying Saucers,Palm Toffee,Liquorice root,Gobstoppers, ah! what memories

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:56:02 »
Ohhhh, gobstoppers, watch them change colour in & out of your mouth dirty fingers all over em !!! lovely, & sherbert dips, yes it is a wonder we have any teeth left.  When i lived in Yorkshire it was a pennorth of Kayli, & your finger all bright yellow, those were happy memories.

Ding Dang Doo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:12 »
 :D Coconut tobacco ... not very pc now but i loved it.  Anyone remember border cream eggs too?  Mmmmmm chocolate fondant.  No one ever remembers them or Mink Cracknell.  Oh well.  Thanks for the memories  ;)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:40 »
Flying Saucers always gave me horrible mouth ulcers, goodness knows what was in them! I remember Mint Cracknell too, it sort of shattered in your mouth! I also remember 2d purple foil wrapped Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate bars, that I bought for my Nan to give to her dog (I'm sure that can't have been good for her, but she loved them).

Not a sweet but similar, does anyone remember when mousses first came out (? Birds Eye?), they were in a thick waxed cardboard block more like ice cream, in lemon, strawberry or chocolate? I LOVED those, and was really disappointed when they switched to tubs, the formula changed and just wasn't the same....... :'(  Must have been around late '1960's?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 19:27:43 »
Sherbit lemons, army and navy, lemon bomboms, jambori bags, cola cubes, sweet peanuts, black jacks and pear drops.    :P :P :P     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 19:49:10 »
Debs those 2d Cadburys milk chocolate bars remind me of Thursday nights, my dear Daddys pay day when he would arrive home with three of them, one each for us kids  :P

I was never a big sweetie eater, but ohhhh peanut brittle, let me at it  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal