Author Topic: Tall growing pea  (Read 1231 times)

petengade

• Acre
Tall growing pea
« on: September 30, 2008, 13:14:33 »
A while back somebody posted a photo of his peas, they must have been two metres high, have looked in a few catalogues and cannot find tall growing peas, can anybody tell me the name of the pea please as I want to grow them next year as I found peas on the one metre high plant were eaten by myself and my daughter before they reached the kitchen, Thanks.

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Tall growing pea
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 13:18:31 »
Hi Penetgade

Would it have been Alderman Peas?  I know these are quite tall and there was a thread about them earlier in the year.

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg3A-peas.htm

T.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 13:20:53 by Tulipa »

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 13:23:55 »
Sorry, meant to put in this in edible plants.

Thank's Tulipa have no idea of the name, when I get few names I can Google for the seed supliers.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 13:26:51 »
Alderman, Magnum Bonum, Ne Plus Ultra and Telephon (Telefon) are all tall peas that have been mentioned on this site.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 13:36:14 »
some catalogues i think have Alderman and telefon as the same. Anyway we grew it. Terrible germination (2 packets), but we will grow it again. Lovely pea

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 13:41:25 »
Thank's Tulipa and Barnowl, as my tomato's ouside have been lost to blight, I will grow peas instead, any idea which tall growing ones ones freeze best?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 17:51:50 »
If I remember right, Alderman is an 'improved' version of Telephone. You can get Alderman from quite a few suppliers, Telephone from Real Seeds, and Ne plus Ultra from Robinsons'. I also grew Purple-Podded from Robinsons' this year, along with Magnum Bonum, and I've added Lancashire Lad and Salmon-Flowered for next year. All the peas I grew this year were a great success. As you can tell, I like these peas, as the crops are so much heavier than what the wretched modern things produce.

The sweet peas we're used to today only came in in Victorian times, and the older varieties (Purple Podded, Lancashire Lad, which is another purple podded one, and Salmon-Flowered) aren't very nice to eat raw. Unless you want to have a little pile of peas on the side of your plate though, it really doesn't matter. We never cook like that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 17:56:39 by Robert_Brenchley »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal