Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Potato Growing

<< < (2/4) > >>

ciaozzy:
Now wheres ower Hugh

Bath_Bun... coffee is an organic alterative, i tried it last yearand suffered no slug damage whatsoever.. hugh done a big experiment and made his findings public on the bbc boards which sadly is now lost..

I think if you use a 50g jar of cheap coffee and add hot water to it then add this to 2 gallon watering can, and water the ground bfore planting, you will fnd that slugs wil leave the area cuz coffee is very toxic to them..... Hugh would be so much better at explaining this than me.... but coffe does work...

Oz

xxxxx

flowerbaby_uk:
ta for tip will try this  :)Hugh if are reading boards please would  you come and explain in more detail?
flower :)

tim:
As said, Hugh will elucidate but, meanwhile - if damage is caused, as I believe, by the little black horrors, the concoction must go down at least 4"? And does one really know that there were slugs there - and that you put them off?

I find that most damage is done when things are left in the ground well past their lift-by date, and other food is becoming scarce, or the ground is very dry. = Tim

The gardener:
I go along with you Tim!

The other thing is;.............putting stuff under the SEED potato  ???.......is this not a waste of time  ??? ......it rots away and the new potatoes form above it, meaning these additions could well be superfluous.

Far be it from to put people off............I was always taught'

If something works for you, carry on with what you are doing, choose what other people say

RSJK:
affraid l agree with Tim on this subject, mixing slug pellets with your fertilliser is a good idea, and is a practice that most farmers use today.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version