Author Topic: How many pumkins  (Read 1307 times)

trinity

• Acre
How many pumkins
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:33:45 »
I have two (jack oh lantern variety) large pumpkin plants ;D and have never done very well with pumpkins before an have only ever got 2 or 3 female flowers per plant each of the plants has around 40 flowers 30 being female they are in large pots ( bigger than half barells ) and are growing up a support system what I need to know is how many fruit's I can leave on and should I remove the flowers before they are set or after any advice would be appreciated i do not wait great big show quality pumpkins they are for my kids at haloween.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: How many pumkins
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:20 »
You have done well to get that many flowers! Jack O'Lantern grows basket ball sized fruits, even if half of those are fertilized you will still have a large crop. I would wait and see how many are fertilised and subsequently start to develop, plants are usually quite good at limiting themselves to what they can support. You may find only a small number actually get that far. If they all start to develop then I would thin some out! ;D

I haven't even planted mine out yet.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:44:27 »
 THANK U I WILL DO THAT :D I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THY ARE DOING SO WELL I ONLY HAVE A MINI GREENHOUSE AN THEY GREW SO BIG BY MARCH THEY HAVE BEEN OUT SINCE THEN WITH ONLY FLECE TO PROTECT THEM FROM FROST

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:52 »
I planted two types, Queensland Blue and a type of green Jap, and I already have flowers!! They have been in for about 3 weeks.
Keep giving them organic rich material around them (I mulch with my compost). I am sure that all these flowers won't turn into pumpkins (or will they???)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 21:17:28 »
Fingers crossed that this is THE year of the pumpkin  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 21:36:33 »
most of mine died in the frosts in may so i have some new plants started off at home this should be

+ bush buttercup
+ suger pie
+ butternut
+ Jaspee
+ squash onion
+ squash patty pan
+ red kari
+ franchi zucchetta (tromba d albenga)
+ Winter Squash galense al eysines

thats sould be enough :)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 13:07:29 »
I wish I had enough space for more varieties I have a butternut squash as well but it is still in the mini green house as it is still really small. an i have no idea where i am going to put it  ??? maybe on the roof  ;D as thats the only space left ::)
 Well maybe next year as will hopefully have a Lotty by then.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal