Author Topic: tomato curling  (Read 3982 times)

daileg

• Hectare
tomato curling
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:50:15 »
well someone asked me this the other day
was wondering what causes the tom plants to curl over allmost fist like at the top of the plant ?
all green foilage with flowers but there curling into them selves .

i thought this was down to insufficient watering the soil was dry so gave them a good soaking last night
is this all this could be or am i needing to worry about something

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
Re: tomato curling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 13:19:43 »
hmmm..not the only one ...mine too have decided to do the same

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 13:20:31 »
Happens to mine, nothing to worry about.

I read that its actually a good thing.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 13:24:38 »
that takes a bit off then still they looked bit better after giving them a good soaking

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 13:48:45 »
Unlike Potatoes rolled tomato leave do not indicate disease. The inward curling of young leaves usually indicate a good sign if they are dark green. Providing that there is no pest the rolling of the older leaves usually indicate to much deleafing or to much fluctuation between day and night tempratures.

DavyW
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 14:47:01 »
Agreed - It is a good thing - it means that they like the soil that you have put in and that there is plenty of food in there for them and they curl their leaves up - in pleasure!

Old Bird

;D

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 15:08:57 »
I actually found that over-watering caused it on my plants. They were fine until I gave them an 'extra big' watering to see them through a few days when I was away - when I came back they had all scrunched up. Once they dried out I resumed more sensitive watering and they have almost recovered fine!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 15:26:02 »
I actually found that over-watering caused it on my plants. They were fine until I gave them an 'extra big' watering to see them through a few days when I was away - when I came back they had all scrunched up. Once they dried out I resumed more sensitive watering and they have almost recovered fine!

I would have thought it was more of a case that your tomatoes needed the water and curled up with delight at getting some  ;D

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 15:41:52 »
When we grow under perfect condition you should water your Tomato,s every day and you should never give them more than two pints water even on the hottest day.
Unfortunately none of us are gardening TV presenters.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 15:49:11 »
I would have thought it was more of a case that your tomatoes needed the water and curled up with delight at getting some

Sorry Fork - I spoke to one of the bigger plants (Brandywine) and he said that the Gardeners Delight had been complaining about being watered too much and had scrunched up in an effort to wring itself dry again... ;)

I always seem to get the watering wrong every year - next year I'll plant them next to the pond and they can help themselves as they see fit!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 16:00:03 »
I stand corrected  ;D

So all this time i have been over watering and didnt realise...oop's  ;D

Must be more careful.I honestly thought that the leaf curl was a good sign.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 16:03:52 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 16:33:24 »
I give my tomatoes however much water I feel like. I'm in charge not them and they seem to understand this as they always behave.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 16:43:54 »
I think that under watering and overwatering tomatoes is the cause of many of their ills!!

Underwatering is when they go limp and look like they are giving up the ghost - they pick up well and quickly but the fruit can be damaged by splitting also overwatering can cause blossom end rot.

I think that saying give them more than two pints of water is a little silly as some of the plants ie Marmande or beef tomatoes are huge and need more water and yet some smaller varieties will find 2 pints too much.

There is a fine line and I still say it is a good sign when the leaves curl up - mine have not been over or underwatered - they are growing happily and seem to be setting fruit!

Old Bird

::)

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 20:35:58 »
Mine are all doing this too.

I was really lazy with final potting and have possibly treated them too well with water since coming out of pots that were fairly dry to be honest.  I did water them before I potted them on.  but clearly overdone it.

Sure they'll be OK.  Bottom leaves are sparse as they grew so tall inside.  But good to see that nice ball of green on the top as it tells me they are putting on new growth and the fact that they are growing side shoots suggests they are over the shock of my neglect.

I do have one of those probe PH and moisture testers.  On a scale from 1 to 10.  What should they be kept at?

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 21:19:52 »
They should be kept at being in a pot that is large enough with some decent compost in it and watered on a regular basis. Don't know what PH that is :)

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 21:24:24 »
lol.  Not bothered about PH.

But as people talke about over watering and underwatering then there must be an optimal.

So the question was valid if a bit geeky.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 21:37:30 »
I wasn't having a go :)
You need to stop them drying out, getting too cold and give them some feed regularily. They will then produce to the extent of their root system.

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 21:50:24 »
I know.  I figured it was meant in jest. :)

I think they are getting what they need now.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 23:07:45 »
well done :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:44 »
would like to say thankyou for all the help as i thought
they looked realy good apart from the curling

i have them on plastic plates from my wifes picnic hamper shoose !!!!
dont tell her what i was saying i water with tomatorite every day enough to fill the plate under the pot , but the last few days have been realy warm thats when the curling got a bit bad but the information provided has been a weight off my mind thanks all again 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal