Author Topic: Holly Tree  (Read 1937 times)

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
Holly Tree
« on: May 31, 2008, 21:16:29 »
I have a fairly large holly tree, and am worried because at the moment it looks as if it might be dying, a lot of leaves have fallen off,
just wondered if anyone else has one and what is that like,
I live in the east of England and we have had a few weeks hot weather but it is cooler and wetter now.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Holly Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 21:53:53 »
This was discussed maybe last week and everyone agreed they get yellowed and dropped leaves about this time then green up again.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Manxie73

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 22:08:58 »
Hi, I have old holly trees in my front garden and every year about this time they drop their leaves. They crunch under foot as I walk beneath the trees at the moment. I think this is normal as I looked for some answers on the net (RHS site) a couple of years ago in a panic and didn't find anything. One other thing, if you reduce the height of the tree by a third it will rejuvenate and thicken out all over. I had one tree done last year as it was tall and thin and I will definately have the others done, can somebody please remind me what the technical term is I've forgotten?
Bye for now.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 22:30:49 »
They do drop their leaves but if they seem to be loosing too many, it can be a bug. Gets under the leaf skin. Mine went bald except for new leaves at the end of each branch once.

A decent garden centre will have a spray for it. It can recover

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 22:46:19 »
One other thing, if you reduce the height of the tree by a third it will rejuvenate and thicken out all over. I had one tree done last year as it was tall and thin and I will definately have the others done, can somebody please remind me what the technical term is I've forgotten?
Pinching out? ;D

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 23:07:37 »
I have one in the back garden and one in the front, both are dropping yellowing leaves. I shall pick them up and use them as a slug deterant under new planting. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 23:27:55 »
Just remembered the problem I had was diagnosed as 'leaf miner'

The cure was neem oil.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 08:09:18 »
Thank you so much for all your help, think it must be normal but will check for any bugs.

thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal