Author Topic: Will I ever go red?  (Read 19046 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Will I ever go red?
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2004, 13:34:21 »
I kept forgetting to way mine. I think I've had about 15lbs of green ones off 40 plants. All plants got blight. I've chucked away even more that went brown after I picked them.  :(
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2004, 12:07:02 »
After a REAL slow start with my toms, this is it, the last of them picked and cleared today, and to be honest, not tooo many green ones.  There will be enough to make some green tom chutney, and I want to try Tims fried green toms, then they will be finished.  I have managed to make and freeze over 10 pints of tomato sauce, have made and frozen spag bol and chilli with home made toms and have 6 portions of roasted veg/ratatouille including lots of toms in the freezer. Plus, my mum has been picking toms all summer long and has just cleared a bowl full of green ones she is going to try and ripen indoors.  Considering I lost all of the toms on my allotment thanks to blight, the ones at home did me proud!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2004, 15:45:42 »
d**n, d**n, d**n!! Forgot to do the roasted rat. Too late. = Tim

PS Emma - don't forget the corn/oatmeal!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 17:46:40 by tim »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2004, 18:33:54 »
D**n again!! The last lot on the right (earlier pic) have all ripened & we're having them on pasta tonight. Why d**n?? Because we've only had one lot of fried green. Them what I live for!! = Tin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 18:35:07 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2004, 18:39:04 »
Nearly all of my toms ripened you know, and those that weren't quite there were all flung into a roasting tin with some garlic, salt and pepper and a sprinkling of muscavado sugar and cooked under foil for about 40 minutes.  They were then blitzed up into the richest, stickiest tom sauce ever!  Made the most devine lasagne with some and froze another 4 portions!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2004, 09:30:10 »
EJ - I make all my tom sauces like that with fresh toms. I cook them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (and sometimes garlic or red onion) and they are gorgeous. Shall have to try a batch with muscovado.

I'm sure that they taste even better after freezing - Is it because freezing turns the starch into sugar?
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal