Author Topic: garlic in the netherlands  (Read 1897 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
garlic in the netherlands
« on: November 12, 2004, 13:30:50 »
My sister (who lives in the Netherlands) said she thought you're not allowed to grow garlic over there in case any diseases get into flower bulbs. Is that right?
gone to pot :D

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
Re:garlic in the netherlands
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 05:50:10 »
Not that I'm aware of - the dutch seed companies sell garlic to plant out.

-B_B-

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 18:17:29 »
No garlic,no onions same family.I know this is not true.I am gardening all surounded by commercial flowerbulb growers and they grow also garlic and onions on there plot,next to thousends of tulipbulbs.Garlic is a naturel disease solver what do you think its rather smelly.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 08:25:17 »
I've never heard of that either.

A few years ago, a ban on growing gladioli on our allotment complex was lifted. I forgot what disease the reason was for this. Could somebody have mixed this up with growing garlic?

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 10:00:27 »
No, that's definitely not true. Fact is you see more and more new types of garlic in the Netherlands, spec Messidrome, Thermidrome and Tokhagyma because these are suitable for the Dutch climate.
Rotation (6-10 years) is important.
I have my veg garden for over 22 years in the middle of the bulbfields and POTATOE growing was banned for a long time in the dunes due to the bulbs. I am not sure it was phytophthora or rhizoctonia or something like that. But for some years we are allowed again to grow potatoes.  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal