Author Topic: Will I ever go red?  (Read 19197 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Will I ever go red?
« on: July 29, 2004, 12:43:25 »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:44:53 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Will I ever go red?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 13:14:33 »
Look exactly the same as mine EJ! Though we are being promised sunshine for the weekend, so maybe..........................
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 14:28:08 »
Mine are just turning -although we've had a few here and there. The plants with the biggest trusses are only just starting to think about going.

-and Mrs D, went and bought some more from the shop, not a patch on mine, you paid HOW MUCH, no patience some people, yadda, yadda, yadda...........

Jeremy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 15:07:03 »
Mind don't even look like they are thinking about it!  I have cherries, yellow ones, beefsteak ones, plum ones and normal tomato ones  :D but they are all the same shade of lime green!  My greenhouse door is open day and night....maybe I should start closing it during the night to help the process along a bit.  I fear I shall be making gallons of green tom chutney!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 15:18:20 »
EJ & DP my tomatoes are like yours, green without the slightest hint of red. Was looking at them yesterday wondering the same thing, will they ever turn red? If Jeremy's are starting to turn them ours can't be too far off, just a bit more blue sky and warm weather needed.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 15:48:20 »
have faith EJ , mine are just starting to go now (the greenhouse ones that is). I've had 2 this week and there are several more just turning - about time. I live in sunny Witham, not far from you (Chelmsford - yes??)
They're like buses - they'll all be here togather!!
Terri :) :) ::)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 15:51:57 »
I am thinking the same :'(
My poor beautiful supersteaks they are sooo big but sooo green!

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 16:36:28 »
have faith EJ , mine are just starting to go now (the greenhouse ones that is). I've had 2 this week and there are several more just turning - about time. I live in sunny Witham, not far from you (Chelmsford - yes??)
They're like buses - they'll all be here togather!!
Terri :) :) ::)

quite an enclave - I'm in Heybridge...

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 17:11:42 »
EJ another 4 weeks or so you will be wondering what to do with all the red ones... ;)
My greenhouse ones still green as grass but have picked some of the outdoor ones,,Crazy aint it ?...Jim
ps.Hope we aint got to resort to hanging bananas up every where to ripen them. :D
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 17:13:49 »
What variety Emma? Looks like my Debaro.

And no one has yet said when things were planted. So how can they be 'late'?

And beefs - how can you grow a thing that size & hope for it to ripen at the same time??  Really!! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 17:23:25 »
Varieties....let me see if I can remember....Bosnie, Xmas Grapes, Super Marmande, Golden Queen, Hungarian Giant, Black Plum, Nepal....sure there are a couple of others, but can't recall as some are blighted and on my sad allotment.  Sown 1st February in my conservatory, then out into the greenhouse May time, can't remember when exactly.  I am not expecting the whoppers to be ready until last, but my cherry ones, which are sooo dinky, I thought I might be enjoying them by now.

p.s.  Essex Rules!  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 18:00:32 »
This is indeed a weird season-The `Santa` are ripe as are a trial baby plum-but otherwise!!.

And yet yesterday I picked a fully grown aubergine (Bonica) from a plant growing outside ???

Stephan

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 18:29:58 »
And I have had 2 fully ripe yellow peppers sown & transplanted after the (mainly) still green tomatoes - Ailsa Craig & GD.
Weird!!! ??? ??? ::)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 20:47:03 »
Have had about 25 red toms to date.  Some from outside plants that were 'spares' and consequently neglected!  I feel that the next wave are getting ready and then it will be 'tomatoes-with-everything'. Lovely.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 21:06:55 »
Ours are all pure green yet too, except for the small Sungold which are starting to ripen now.  Greenhouse and outdoors in pots all the same but it's early for us yet - as usual I keep making new sowings of lettuce with the aim of getting them ready at the same time for salads!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 21:08:17 »
My concern is that, when things ripen early & the plants are not full-grown, they are trying to set seed before dying!

Amazing to get so much outside when so many of us are impatient of our indoor stuff. = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 15:06:47 »
I'm due for my second cherry tomato tonight - I think it should be ripe now anyway. Trouble is, they are supposed to be yellow (Xmas grapes - what colour are yours EJ?)

Some of the yellow plums are definitely yellow and looking almost ripe (I'm finding it hard to tell, but they don't quite look ripe yet!) But they are not plum shaped!

The black plums are actually plum shaped, and are a much darker orange than the red plums, so I'm hoping they will be darker red. Can't wait!

The red plums are still very green, but there are a lot of fruits on the plants.

The Berner Rosen are going lighter green, so I'm hoping they'll ripen soon (two fruits each on two plants, none on the other two).
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 17:18:48 »
Can 'the John over there' help on this ripening business??

Doors, Emma? Question of good ventilation against even warmth.
Last night was the first to reach the 60F mark.
Feeding? Your normal routine?

I thought East Anglia was ahead usually - but Stephan's suffering too. SO?? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 17:38:43 »
Can tell you what colour all of my toms are Aqui.  GREEN!  Pah and double pah.  Hey ho, when you lot are sick to death of toms with everything, we will just be starting.  I am jealous of your black plum toms aqui as I had all of those at the allotment, and they were smothered in fruit, and they all got the dreaded blight and the lot have now gone.  :'( :'(

I can't now close my greenhouse door thanks to a couple of the tom plants making a bid for freedom, but it is in full sun all day, the only place in my garden that receives full sun from dawn til dusk.  They are fed regularly and watered regularly and the plants look so healthy, and I mean absolutely brimming with health and sheen!  Am I loving them too much, should I stop singing to them?  I shall start being rough with them.  Treat them mean and keep them keen!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 18:02:05 »
Try Green Zebra or Evergreen next year, Emma? Lovely flavour!! = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal