Author Topic: Yet another potato question  (Read 1336 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Yet another potato question
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:53:11 »
I have my potato's in big bags. Pic Below (not a recent one)

I have covered the plants twice already with the top bit sticking out.  Within 4 days my plants are huge again.  Do I earth them up again??

They growing like mad!!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Yet another potato question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:23 »
Yes, you keep earthing them up to try and create more tubers.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:29:21 »
On the plot you would stop earthing them up when the soil runs out but in the bag you must stop when the bag is full.
If you have already topped the bags up twice then you should get a fairly reasonable crop.
The choice is yours :)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:10:34 »
you have to weigh up the cost of the compost against buying them from a shop or another grower - make sure those bags are light proof as any spuds near the surface will go green which you don't want  :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 13:32:17 »
you have to weigh up the cost of the compost against buying them from a shop or another grower - make sure those bags are light proof as any spuds near the surface will go green which you don't want  :)
Sorry  I cant agree if we all had to weigh up the cost then the plot rent - seeds or plants the time we spend digging - planting - weeding(if we were getting paid for it)its the knowing where and whats on your fruit and veggies that out weighs any cheap fruit and veg you can pick up from any Supermarket or shop,thats how we all got started growing our own not the cost.Got my Supermarket bought Maris Piper in a dustbin,just keep topping it up till you cat top up no more  ;)
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal