Author Topic: Thompson & Morgan  (Read 2296 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Thompson & Morgan
« on: May 12, 2008, 20:45:06 »
Has anyone had many dealings with Thompson & Morgan Seeds? I ordered some seed potatoes from them which I expected by the start of last week, after a few phone calls they promised I'd get them by 5pm today but still nothing.

Not a happy chap.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Thompson & Morgan
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 20:56:21 »
I had a really bad experience with them this year with a seed potato order.  Ordered online, they took the money right away.  6 weeks later no potatoes.  Started phoning and emailing so-called 'customer care'.  Nice people, completely useless.  They had sat on the order for 14 days before they 'faxed it to Scotland' where it disappeared into a black hole and they don't have phones in Scotland apparently.  Eventually got part of the order with, can you believe it first earlies missing.  They were promised the following week, never turned up so I cancelled and got my money back.  Potatoes didn't get any chitting this year.  I think that T&M have no automation behind their website.  When you order online it all gets printed off and they shuffle paper around in very large volumes.  Never again.  Last year I ordered seed potatoes on eBay and had them in 3 days (from Scotland!).   

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 21:51:40 »
we have a good relatioinship with t & m. we order our seeds through our allotment shop who put in a bulk order with t & m and we get the seeds half price
takes over your life doesn't it

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 22:03:46 »
we ordered sweet potatoes last year, they came late, sad, limp little things, 4 out of 10 never picked up, at 1.00 each, that's not a good thing, when i e-mailed them, they told me to wait and see how they got on..too late to re-plant, never again

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 22:07:09 »
I've got my potatoes from Alan Romans (Scotland!!!) for the last couple of years and have had absolutely no problems. Having said that, most of our plotholders go to the market at Eat Fortune in East Lothian and get theirs there.

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 00:09:41 »
I have always bought mine  from B&Q though they  seem to always have them very early in the year. I get them and put them somewere cold  to stop them chitting until I am ready to  use them. I see they still have a load but  by now they are growing out of the bags. Check out local farm suppliers as you can  get  them  along with peas and oinion sets at a good price. I dont do ths as the  farm supplier is too far away and it  dosent work out  for the fuel cost.

Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 00:44:11 »
Alan Romans are where I bought my seed potatoes, and with zero problems.

They just happen to be part of the T&M empire!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:36 »
It's not just them; I'm still waiting for mine from D T Brown, ordered in mid-March.

powerspade

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 18:28:12 »
I buy mine local saves all the bother also far much cheaper

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 18:44:49 »
I don't think I'll be getting them this way next year. I've bought loads of gardening stuff over the internet this year, that's the one thing that's gone wrong.

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 14:37:03 »
It's not just them; I'm still waiting for mine from D T Brown, ordered in mid-March.

I ordered some at the end of April and still waiting - got some seeds ordered at the same time.  Have e-mailed their customer services but no reply yet.  I am thinking, however, that perhaps I have ordered them for next year - I presumed as they were not showing sold out (like T&M and Organic Catalogue) they would be able to supply.  Will have to ring and find out the situation.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 14:52:34 »
If that's D T Brown, they didn't reply to an Email from me either. You need to phone, and they've been telling me they are in stock.

nippie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 15:04:32 »
I have mentioned before,Don't say Thompson and Morgan to me!
I have not been terribly happy with T&M for a few years. This year I ordered the "best trailing begonias you will see". On arrival one was dead 2 were dying and since then another has died.
I wrote straight away and 2 weeks later received a £4 voucher. Huh, no thanks.
My other gripe is that I receive at least one, often many more, catalogues a week. Often identacle catalogues  ::) Poor rain forests!
This year the best service I have had has been from Suttons.
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 20:32:36 »
I got my potatoes yesterday but they sent me the wrong ones, anyone know when Golden Wonder (late main) should go in?, they have chits now.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:09:45 »
I got mine this morning, again the wrong ones. This time from DT  Brown. International Kidney I did order, but not Vanessa or Belle de Fontenay. Anyone know those two? They added some onion setts, which I didn't order either, but no explanation, and the despatch note just listed the original varieties. I can use the onions for spring onions.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:15:55 by Robert_Brenchley »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 12:26:18 »
Belle de Fontenay is a lovely salad potato, similar to International Kidney so I can see why they might substitute it for that. But without an explaination? Poor show. However BDF is better IMHO! I'm growing that at home this year.

I had a very long wait for T&M potatoes last year, and was put off from ordering potatoes from them again. This year I got some great sized seed potatoes from the Ryton potato day, and the rest from Alan Romans. Plan to do the same next year!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal