Author Topic: Sycamore trees.... How do you get rid of them???  (Read 23442 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Sycamore trees.... How do you get rid of them???
« on: April 23, 2008, 19:32:09 »
Sycamore trees are the bain of my life in my garden... as this house was empty for a very long time before I moved in the garden was unattended so they have set seed almost everywhere.

Most of them I have been able to dig up, and get rid of, but today noticed in the hedge that I have a couple that have really thrived in there.

How would you remove them?  Would it leave big gaps in the hedge?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sycamore trees.... How do you get rid of them???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 20:18:36 »
Chop the buggers down. I have one in my hedge; I can't chop it out without upsetting my neighbour, so I tried copper nails. It thrived on them.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 23:02:27 »
I'd chop them down as far as poss then carefully apply some Rootout, if you can get it - it's set to be withdrawn from sale this year under EU regs.

On that issue, I must say as an application to finish off tree stumps and stubborn brambles and when applied carefully, sparingly and most of all - sensibly, I've never had anything but good results and nothing else in the surounding area has been harmed or affected in any way.

Oops! Got carried away there.

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 23:15:41 »
They are popping up everywhere here too >:(. My garden is very close to our local woods we get the fall out of everything going ::)

I pull them out, better to loosen with a spade or trowel depending on size as the will grow from any tap root left
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 23:21:29 »
If it's too big or awkward to dig out and you don't mind a chemical solution then ammonium sulphamate (trade name Deep Root) will kill any tree stump.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 23:32:19 »
And if you cannot find ammonium sulphamate or root out any more, drill some holes into the cut-off stumps and drip in a bit of neat Roundup/ cheaper glyphosate.

Cover with plastic bag to prevent dilution by rain
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 00:59:12 »
Chop the buggers down. I have one in my hedge; I can't chop it out without upsetting my neighbour, so I tried copper nails. It thrived on them.

Wait until your neighbour is out on a windy day & give it a little encouragement to fall over in the storm, your neighbour can't object to it's removal if it appears to of fallen over by itself.
Winches are a fast & effective method to remove a tree.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-TON-HAND-PULLER-WINCH-TURFER-BRAND-NEW-100020_W0QQitemZ320242903312QQihZ011QQcategoryZ82529QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:54 »
I was interested in this post because we have some privet hedges that have been cut down to ground level and keep regrowing.  We have tried digging the roots out but have had no success.  A winch seems the ideal tool for pulling them out but what does it have to be attached to at the other end?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 18:26:14 »
You can anchor a winch to any convenient heavy or immovable object eg: another tree (or strong stump if cut off high enough), a 4x4, tractor, jcb, telegraph pole etc...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 19:25:07 »
Thanks Baccy Man.  We will have to get one. 

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 19:47:27 »
Anyone tried this new SBK stuff thats in the shops? 

I was told its the replacement for Deep Root.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal