Author Topic: My lottie site  (Read 1117 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
My lottie site
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:58:56 »
I am starting to get worried that I will not be able to plant on my lottie this year.  My oh and I have been digging it over for a few months now, but its still in large clumps of soil, and never seems to dry out.  Will it dry out and then will I be able to rake it over and start planting.  Has anyone got any tips on how to hurry this along, the weather in swindon is terrible at the moment and the ground is constantly wet, so when its wet the ground goes like clay, but the minute it dries out abit it gorgeous.
I have done one side of the lottie with small raised beds for my courgettes to go in, I want to repot my broad beans soon, can these grow on clay ground.  My raised beds are half full of soil then fresh horse manure with a cover over them and have been left there for about 4 weeks now.  Any help would be appriciated

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: My lottie site
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:05:06 »
With clay soil you have to work it in the period between it being too wet or too dry - when it's gorgeous, as you say. You should use well-roted manure, not fresh - is it straw-based? Some photos would help for a better answer.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:32:35 »
I would try not to worry too much Caseylee. At the end of the day you've got to do what you can, when you can. I've taken on an extra plot this year and i'm still way behind with my digging. I've got stuff queueing up to be put in. i think it's the time of year when many people, myself included, get just a little bit panicky about trying to get everything in, on time.
 I can see where you're coming from re the soil being a bit too wet. My clay soil tends to be too wet to dig comfortably for most of the year, then, you get a little honeymoon period between about now and the middle of June, before the uncultivated soil starts to set like concrete and the weather's too hot for serious digging sessions anyway.
  I know it's not too popular with the 'Allotment Police', but, i'd just concentrate on doing one small section at a time, without being too fussy, get something in thats relatively 'easy' like broad beans or some early spuds, then move on to the next section. If you dont manage to get the whole plot sorted there's always next year.
  As for breaking up large clumps of soil. One tool that i've found quite useful is my Chillington Digging hoe. They dont do a big range for the British market. I've got three of them. I mainly use the Heavy duty digging hoe and the digging fork. I've found them pretty good for smashing up the big clods of soil. All their tools are very reasonably priced and they are a very friendly, helpful bunch of people, as you would expect from a company which has been in business for over a hundred years. You should be able to find them if you do a search on the internet. If you give them a ring they will help you out.
  Best of Luck anyway-Marky.B. :)

blisters

• Quarter Acre
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:05:27 »
We are in a very similar situation here.

What I've found works well, is to roughly dig it over, then go over it with a cheapo electric rotavator from Aldi/Lidl.  This give a really nice tilth without killing yourself in the process ;)  (These electric rotavators are great for this type of work but I doubt they have the guts to rotavate compressed clay soil which hasn't been cultivated for ages)

Also, work in as much organic matter as you can get your hands on.  I know you've probably heard this a million times, but it really does make a massive difference.

Totally agree with markyb23, that you need to concentrate on one bit at a time, and it's surprising how much you can get done over the year.

Good luck.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 13:13:28 »
cheers everyone its just a bit disheartning when you can see the potential but can't get started I might just concentrate on one section to get my broad beans in and a few bits and get the rest ready for wonter growing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal