Author Topic: Long black roots - should i worry?  (Read 2533 times)

Tyke

• Half Acre
Re: Long black roots - should i worry?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 18:51:03 »
Did you successfully tame it with Deeproot?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 18:56:53 »
Why does the area flood? Is it a case of a stream overflowing, surface runoff whith nowhere to go, or what? Once you can find the cause, you're halfway to knowing the solution.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 21:05:18 »
Did you successfully tame it with Deeproot?

More a case of slowing it down but much much better

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 21:39:06 »
Why does the area flood? Is it a case of a stream overflowing, surface runoff whith nowhere to go, or what? Once you can find the cause, you're halfway to knowing the solution.

Just very heavy clay soil i think.  I probably need to explore the other side of the traintrack - up the gentle hill. Can't see a stream, but it was trickling down for days. No water on surface of my plot nw though  - after building trenches. When i double-dug the beds i found it really difficult to fork over the sub-soil. It created a scraping noise on the fork and i had to jump on the fork to get it in....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 13:36:29 »
When i double-dug the beds i found it really difficult to fork over the sub-soil. It created a scraping noise on the fork and i had to jump on the fork to get it in

This sounds a bit like our plots, the surface water runs off the hill on the top of a rock bed under the topsoil.

The rock tends to undulate and form hollows and these 'pond' up and fill with surface water. If you have an indentation under your plot you suffer water problems if you have a hump under it, you are relatively free of problems.

Like you we have a disused railway line up hill of our plots which in  pre Beeching days was well maintained but after his action is was not, hence our problems.

To try and over come the problem I dug a trench down to the rock on the 'uphill' elevation of the plot, and down the lower side of the plot.

Then I scrounged pipes of any description from demolition sites etc and placed them in the bottom of the trench. This took away the heaviest of the flow meaning my plot dried out much quicker.

In the end all the plot holders got together a dug one long ditch along the upside of the plots and directed the flow into a culvert we found.

I am pleased to say this has worked and the plots are now more or less free of flood water but it was 'bl***y hard work getting it that way.

I only thought I would mention all this because your predicament sounds like the one we had.

Best of luck in what ever you do!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 20:56:52 »
You may need a major communal project like that yourselves. Meanwhile, try to find a source of large quantities of organic matter - do you have a local garden contractor who'd be glad not to have to pay to dump leaves and dead grass at the tip? Dig it in in large quantities, or mulch thickly with it, year by year, and you'll soon improve that soil beyond recognition.

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 19:37:46 »
It's only a small plot - 20 odd allotments and brand new - although all plots are taken. We don't yet have any allotment association, although everyone i've met seems friendly and helpful.

I think that it might have been better for the council to dig the plot with  machines and provide lots of compost cheap at the beginning, but our council don't sell or give away compost. Still it gives us something to do! Also, there is no water supply yet - although taps are on the site plan. The mini-ponds i've made will come in handy.

Glad you managed to sort things out on your plot with trenches. I was skeptical that it would be a long-term fix. I'm using raised beds with rotted horse-manure to help the soil.

I had it confirmed by someone local this weekend that the field is infested with horsetail! However, she didn't sound that worried as the area around is the same and gardeners survive. Makes me feel better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal