Author Topic: Raised beds  (Read 1571 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Raised beds
« on: April 18, 2008, 17:20:06 »
Hi All, I'm going to build a raised bed on my new lottie.....what should i fill it with to raise the soil level up higher?
Is shop bought compost ok?
If it is ok should I get the best quality I can afford or cheap & cheerful grow bags?

My plot is quite clayee (I know thats not a word but its the best I can do as a newbie at an accurate description...thick heavy soil beneath the surface which dries to heavy clumps on top of the unworked areas) so there isnt really any soil i can move from anywhere on my plot to fill the beds.
Thanks for any advice

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 17:34:43 »
if you can get hold of some rotted manure and get as much of that dug into your clay soil as possible then i think that would be the best thing for it.  if you have some compost in your compost bin or heap then dig that in too. i would hesitate to buy garden centre compost as it would cost you a fortune.  i dont know what others think though.  :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 17:39:22 »
We did as Sarah did plus leaf mould ,dead grobags and the soil imrover that you get from the council tip £2 per bag it so lovely and black ,bit by bit it builds up.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 17:40:11 »
That sounds expensive!  :-X

As a suggestion ... how about starting small, just for now,  while you maybe get in a load of pony p**s from somewhere to improve the soil ...

If you are raising beds ... 12" seems to be an approved depth so how about adding some straw and shredded paper, even cardboard, that will all rot down very easily!  Then for the fisrt year don't grow roots !!  ::) ;D

Check this out ... there is some useful info for starting out too  ;)

http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/SqFt/start_now.htm

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 17:46:37 »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try to find a local stables so i can get hold of maure. I dont drive though so I may not be able to get them to deliver. I asked the old timers at my site if they ever get maure delivered & they said there hasnt been anyone willing to do it for years & years  :( 
The site I'm on is only 15 small lotties (probably the size of about 6 normal sized allotments) & the council dont deliver any compost etc.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 18:02:11 »
I am planning on having some raised beds on our second plot however I really did not want to splash out bangers buying new timber...In fact today I called some local scaffold firms asking them if they had any scaffold boards for sale that are no longer any use to them ....Result!!! one firm less than a mile from me came up with twelve 13 foot boards a few 10 foot ones and some at 6 foot. When I asked him "how much for them?" he said " just bung us enough for a breakfast for me and the lads!". That works out to be £25, not bad eh?, I have to pick them up myself but I am well chuffed.

( foot , feet / feet, foot..I dunno? :))

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 18:07:56 by Need a Leek »
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 18:04:50 »
NAL,

you should have gone to the local builders merchant.Honestly didn't you know they are giving away 9 x 2 tanalised to plot holders, just ask Joe Swift.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 18:22:35 »
I am planning on having some raised beds on our second plot however I really did not want to splash out bangers buying new timber...In fact today I called some local scaffold firms asking them if they had any scaffold boards for sale that are no longer any use to them ....Result!!! one firm less than a mile from me came up with twelve 13 foot boards a few 10 foot ones and some at 6 foot. When I asked him "how much for them?" he said " just bung us enough for a breakfast for me and the lads!". That works out to be £25, not bad eh?, I have to pick them up myself but I am well chuffed.

( foot , feet / feet, foot..I dunno? :))

Cheers
Tony

I forgot to mention that the boards are not rotten, it's just that some have a split in the middle etc and they can no longer be used. I expect this has something to do with Health and Safety.

Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 18:24:22 by Need a Leek »
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 19:26:05 »
Ha! Ha!  :D  ;D  Albecore I saw that episode of GW too...couldnt believe his luck...reminds me of an old Kylie song....'I should be so Lucky'!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt_leeds

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 15:39:35 »
NAL,

you should have gone to the local builders merchant.Honestly didn't you know they are giving away 9 x 2 tanalised to plot holders, just ask Joe Swift.

Is this for real? I am desperate for some wood for raised beds.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 15:49:12 »
hiya, matt, welcome to the site, I think he was joking ?  ;D
i'm sure there was a thread on here said building firms will give away pallets if you can pick them up, Anyone remember it?

matt_leeds

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 15:57:11 »
Humph! I was hoping there was some amazing government initiative to supply allotment holders with free wood!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 16:00:53 »
 ;D ;D ;D
we wish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal