Author Topic: Long black roots - should i worry?  (Read 2556 times)

Tyke

• Half Acre
Long black roots - should i worry?
« on: April 17, 2008, 22:54:15 »
I got a new allotment this year...and i mean new. It used to be a field that has not been cultivated previously. It is heavy clay soil and was waterlogged throughout March with frogs in the puddles. I drained it by digging a trench all around and the dry weather helped.

I have double-dug 2 beds. There are lots of woody black roots in all areas of the plot. The only perennial weeds i could see were 3 docks and a few creeping buttercups. The rest was grass - i have been told that it is rye grass.

The top soil had at least one of these roots in each complete spadeful. They also went down to the sub-soil and one root was 2 foot long.

Should i be worried? My thoughts were that it was probably the roots of the grass. But i don't know if it can sprout from these again.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: Long black roots - should i worry?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 23:16:07 »
I didn't think rye grass rooted that deeply, it's an odd one. Couch grass would be white, so it's not that. Perhaps there used to be something else planted there?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 23:19:23 »
Could it be.... dare I say it....  I'll whisper...  mares tail
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 23:23:14 »
As far as locals are aware the field has always been fallow. There is a small apple tree at one end and a small amount of blackberries at the far end, but the roots are everywhere!

No sign of mare's tail (from photos of it above ground) anywhere on the site - hopefully!!

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 23:31:11 »

This is a photo of the site in March before i started work on it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 23:44:19 »
It probably is horsetail or mare's tail if it goes that deep.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 23:46:07 by Robert_Brenchley »

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 23:49:29 »
Oh dear. Some people on the site have rotavated the entire plot! Ouch.

It hasn't spouted yet. When should i expect it to show itself above ground??

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 23:53:52 »
Mine is just begining to rear it's ugly head.

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 23:56:24 »
I've just been googling mare's tail. The roots are meant to be thin. These are quite thick and black. Quite tough and woody too. I've trod over every bit of the plot in wet weather so i might have squashed the shoots for now...

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 06:59:25 »
sounds like mares tail to me too. The stuff in my garden has long 1cm thick woody black roots - it should be rearing it's head about now  :(

barkingdog

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:06:26 »
ah well, so much for the flower and herb beds i have dug out. Still, some people seem to be able to work with it.

MollyTheDog

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:19:03 »
Sounds very much like mares/horse tail. The stuff is really old - dinosaurs used to eat it - so it survives quite well. We have had it since we started 10 years ago; gradual weeding out and applying systemic weedkiller keeps it under control but to get rid of it completely is difficult. If you use weedkiller, don't just spray it on, rub it into the leaves using rubber gloves.

I've learnt to live with it, it is quite pretty in small doses. Good Luck.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 11:06:59 »
Black roots like that suggests nettles to me.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 12:25:47 »
Nettles have piss-yellow roots. Horsetails were old when the dinosaurs appeared; they were at their height when the coal seams were still standing forest.

TheGrowingFamily

• Quarter Acre
  • Warrington, Cheshire
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 15:16:20 »
Comfrey has thick, black roots. Could it be that?  ???

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 15:31:31 »
Sounds like marestail.

You'll see little yellow mushroom like tips pop up , these I believe spread spores, then the asparagus like fronds later.

Don't believe all the crap about roundup or dax killing it.It won't.Neither will mixing roundup with a wetting agent, or washing up liquid to break the waxy coat.

mulching won't stop it either.

The only way to get rid of it is to dig it out.You can't fanny about at that either, you need to get bust the subsoil, or it'll hide there, or under the harder layer.

I love getting the stuff out, but then I love digging, nothing I'd rather do than dig.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 15:41:37 »
This is a photo of the site in March before i started work on it.

I am an eternal optimist so I hope I am wrong here.............I think your plot suffers from 'flooding' and is quite possibly badly drained as the picture suggests!
As far as locals are aware the field has always been fallow.

Could you ask them if it tends to flood, this might be the reason it has remained fallow for so long i.e. no one wants it.

As I say I hope I am wrong.

Try digging a hole about two foot square and at least two feet deep and see if you get a build up of water.

If it waterlogged ground this hole will probably fill up with water overnight, or even sooner.

I would ask the question and do the test I suggested.

It would do no harm to ask other plot holders what they think and how they find their plots

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 16:32:18 »
I am getting the feeling that my worst fears are proving correct - Horsetail/marestail, although nothing sprouting so far. From what i've read, heard on this site and googled about, there is no consensus on how to manage it - some say use weedkiller, other's say it don't work Some say hoe and mulch. Part of the fun of having an allotment is experimenting i suppose.

The site was very flooded in Feb/March. I dug a trench around it and the frogs have left, although i get pond-skaters in the trenches at times! I think that we get run-off from a farmer's field at the top end over a train-line. The trenches had a trickle ofclear running water for about a week. It is drained enough now that i can stand on the surface without sinking - a nice feeling.

It was known as a flooding problem by locals - especially on our side of the field. It was so bad that the council dug a deep drain on the grass verge outside - but nothing in the field! The top inch of soil is like concrete at the moment -  i had to empty a trench of water in order to dig one bed! I'm hoping that the drainage trench might stress out the weed.

I'm impressed with the amount of activity on this site...

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 16:34:43 »
Sounds like marestail.

You'll see little yellow mushroom like tips pop up , these I believe spread spores, then the asparagus like fronds later.

Don't believe all the crap about roundup or dax killing it.It won't.Neither will mixing roundup with a wetting agent, or washing up liquid to break the waxy coat.

mulching won't stop it either.

The only way to get rid of it is to dig it out.You can't fanny about at that either, you need to get bust the subsoil, or it'll hide there, or under the harder layer.

I love getting the stuff out, but then I love digging, nothing I'd rather do than dig.

You like getting the stuff out? You've made a niche for yourself!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 18:16:34 »
it's true, Roundup doesn't work but Deep Root does, if you can get hold of it now - som EU rule I expect.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal