Author Topic: radishes  (Read 1289 times)

trinity

• Acre
radishes
« on: April 13, 2008, 13:40:18 »
 how long do radishes (scarlet globe,) normally take to crop? i have had some in for twelve weeks they have a lot of leaf growth but the root is doing nothing!  I thought radishes where easy to grow! they are in an un heated green house and have no sign of pests or disease and have been fed
any advice would be appreciated

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: radishes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 14:20:03 »
I think the cold has got to them and they're not going to swell up. The same thing happened to my super early beetroot last year. We're eating our first radishes, grown like yours, but ours are the long Firecandle ones

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 15:59:08 »
Hi Trinity.  Radishes should crop in 5-8 weeks so I think it's unlikely that yours will swell up now.  Until last year I found radishes very easy to grow.  I'd sow 12 seeds in a half seed tray of multi-purpose compost in the mini greenhouse and they'd come up a treat.  Last year I tried about four different varieties sown in various depths of pots and with differing spacing and zilch!  I wonder if in your case though whether the clue might be in 'they have been fed'.  Sown in good compost you shouldn't need to feed radishes and it could be that they have put on too much leaf growth on at the expense of roots?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 18:40:58 »
I agree...the broblem is the feeding...they do not need it ..
Just weed it all out and start again with same compost but this time give them just water...

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 19:27:21 »
Never mind, they make good compost.

Pop another row in and keep sowing every two weeks.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 20:06:37 »
PLANTED SOME MORE LAST WEEK  WILL NOT FEED THEM AND WILL SEE WHAT HAPENS THANK U ALL FOR THE ADVICE

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 23:00:21 »
I had this problem last year.   I put it down to sowing too many too close together.  This year I have sown some in fish boxes (3x2ft & 1ft deep.)  I sowed them in rows 2 weeks ago and they are popping up already so fingers crossed.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 20:12:39 »
My Scarlet Globe sown on 8 April in the unheated greenhouse in a 6" pot are also up.  Fingers crossed indeed. :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 20:22:52 »
I got carried away and planted some quite early, we have already eaten a few!!

Mostly they got frozen though.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 20:47:58 »
 ??? DONT KNOW WHY THEY TOOK SO LONG BUT I HAD SOME FOR MY TEA TODAY ;D ;D ;D  THEY ARE SILL A BIT SMALLER THAN THE ONES I GREW LAST YEAR AND VERY HOT :o THE NEXT BACH ARE ALREADY BIGER THAN THEM MABY THEY WHERE JUST PUT IN TO EARLY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal