Author Topic: Gardeners World Allotment  (Read 32109 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Gardeners World Allotment
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2008, 22:21:05 »
Although I have sole responsibility for planning and maintenance of our ornamental garden - can't say I am enamoured  :-\. But Carol not too bad in terms of ornamentals. The new head gardener is okay too in a substitute teacher sort of the way, she obviously has lots of knowledge she just needs to understand her audience and put it across - relax we don't bite (well not too much).

Highlights for me - the Geoff Hamilton bit, who was the absolutely best presenter ever, no-one comes near. And I am afraid after that the Joe Swift bits, do you think he has been reading the A4A site as this week explaining exactly why he's made decisions about rotovating and the pain its going to cause him  ??? Oh and in between (although did stay tuned in for the Peony bits as my fave flower) I switched to britains got talent. Sad.....but there you have it.  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2008, 22:26:03 »
I like Carol but I saw her on a very old programme the other day and she spoke quite normally.I think the producers tell them to sound enthusiastic and they completely overact.Carol is a real expert but the over exuberance puts me off.

Christine on Christine's garden has gone the same way as well. ;D

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2008, 22:30:25 »
Im really enjoying all of it never watched GW until the other week.. learnt loads tonight how to prick out and I love the allotment part... so good to see his children and missus up there getting involved that for me is what its all about really good Friday nite tele ;D ;D ;)
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2008, 22:33:10 »
I liked the fact that the old allotment folk took the mickey with the triangles and made mini ones for the kids!!...All light hearted fun.

Maybe they have been reading all the comments... but at least they found it amusing and the younger generations thought it was a fab idea.

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you lay out your allotment, its enjoying what you grow, and involving the family is great too.  In today's society that was a blessing to see!!!.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2008, 09:02:03 »
Another hour of rubbish.

Hole digging, dividing some perennials, and a bit of transplanting.

Carol Klein, what's going on with that hair? Worst bit of pond building I have ever seen.

Joe's plot, Words fail me.

Head gardener bird, anyone watching on Iplayer, can you tell me how many times she says really! double for  a really really!

Surely the beeb must see that this programme needs a heart transplant.Sack them all, fresh experienced talent required that can present to adults, not a Blue Peter audience.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2008, 09:42:34 »
After becoming very allergic to Gardener's World, I find the new format almost watchable again.

That clip of Geoff Hamilton made me think just how much he's been missed, and did anyone notice how much information he gave out in about a minute compared to what they do now, and actually telling us what to do, and not just making vague suggestions?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2008, 09:47:48 »
I didn't think it was too bad at all. Inevitably, it was too superficial, but I thought it compared well to the clip of Geoff Hamilton at the end, which didn't explain much either. Why are asparagus traditionally planted on a little ridge anyway? Was it makework for those legions of underpaid and overworked Victorian gardeners or what? I do think Joe needs to explain more about what he's doing though, if the audience are going to learn anything. We're not seeing much of the hard graft of doing an allotment either, which isn't going to help people realise what they're taking on.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2008, 11:17:20 »
I cannot stand it it is like waching paint dry they could easly make the curent gardeners world in to a 15 min program its just all so vage

I am in love with uktv gardens as it runns all or the old gardeners world ;D
I love the bits by Bob flowerfewas (i eaven take notes ;D) as when I eventualy get my allotment I would like to be as organic as posible

as I am prity new to gardening i an sure if i only had the current program all i would know how to do would would behow to dig a hole and put a large plant in from the garden center (i know they say devide stuff and use it from other places in your garden but when you have only had a 20 by 10 feet space for 2 years and it was all weeds when you got it this is not posible!)
and how to get a lot of free stuff of people ( by beeing a prezenter on gardeners world ;D ::) ;D)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2008, 11:19:05 »
sorry forgot to use the spell check :-[

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2008, 20:17:19 »
OK,this is where I upset people! WHY do so many people berate this programme?? Just watch it for what it is! Gardeners world is OK, it won't be the same as when Geoff Hamilton was presenter but then it is almost 30 years since he started as presenter of G-WORLD, don't get me wrong, I think he was fab too but he is sadly no longer with us and I think the current presenters are great. I think the production company HAS been listening to us, they have included the allotment bit and re-jigged the entire programme to give us a much better and watchable experience.

And if anyone else criticises 'Saint Carol' I will be most upset!!!  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2008, 20:21:29 »
can someone tell me when its on so i can give it a go thanks, dont often get my hands on that remote control thingy!!  >:(

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2008, 20:21:35 »
...I think the production company HAS been listening to us, they have included the allotment bit and re-jigged the entire programme to give us a much better and watchable experience.
I think that bit is so true.  On here, people have been calling for more bits dedicated to veggie growing/allotments.  It is the same on the beeb boards.  Then we get it, and the same people (not all I grant you) moan about that too.  There is no pleasing some people.  And that, in different words, is more or less exactly what I posted about the moaning about GYO.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2008, 20:25:20 »
Hear hear Gloster Womble!!!   ( .... mmmm funny initials are GW... :o :o :o ;D ;D.) I stopped watching during the decking era and phased out Rachel de Thame (??? aargh) but the current lot are just fine and I've set Sky to record it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2008, 20:40:26 »
I missed it Friday, was away on the boat so can't comment on that episode. Have to catch it on BBCi.

I personally think the problem is most people on here know what they're doing.  They've all been gardening and growing veg for years. So in effect we all have at least the same if not greater level of expertise as any BBC presenter, certainly as much practical experience.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. They all  know how they would do it, what does and what doesn't work, what to do and what not to do and when to do it. So the problem for most people is they've got to watch a bloody lot of gardening programs before they see something that they haven't seen or done before.

And when they see these things done a different way to what they'd do them then their only outlet is a forum like this.

I have to agree, Iv'e not learnt anything new for years by watching these programs but I still enjoy watching them...

Especially The Big Dig :)

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2008, 22:07:16 »
If you miss it, watch it on Iplayer.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2008, 22:16:56 »
Well said, womble!
Did anyone else hear the bit after GQT this afternoon- even the experts (Peter Seabrook and a woman whose name I've forgotten) were disagreeing about whether the TV gardeners know their stuff or not!

No doubt someone will be along to tell me Peter doesn't know anything either! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2008, 22:18:57 »
As sensibly not having a TV I'm staying out of this!!
There's enough amusement in just going over the posts on here!
 ;D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2008, 22:53:19 »
As sensibly not having a TV I'm staying out of this!!
There's enough amusement in just going over the posts on here!
 ;D

You are VERY sensible saddad, TV really does waste so much of our time.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2008, 13:05:25 »
Peter Seabrook was bang on. Its pretty celebs we seem to want now not experts.

I think the time Carol Kline got really really excited and started squeeking about the flavour of baby veg was what did it for me. I've tasted baby veg, they're less tasty than grown up veg.

We need a new forward thinking gardening program with Bob Flowerdew at the helm and music thats not naff!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 13:13:25 by sawfish »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2008, 13:10:04 »

And if anyone else criticises 'Saint Carol' I will be most upset!!!  ;D

:-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal